Re: [agile-usability] Virtual Agile Teams

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 4:40:55 AM, Leina wrote:
      >

      >> I would like to hear from those who have experiences of being in a
      >> team where members (including customers)were dispersed geographically.
      >> [...] Can such a set-up work in agile development?
      >>

      > Agile practices help in such a situation, because it is focused on
      > concrete deliverables and rapid iterations.
      >
      > However, like a long-distance love affair, it's not easy, and
      > nowhere near as good as being together.

      That's a great way of putting it. I'm coaching two distributed agile
      teams now. The agile approach is definitely helping, and all concerned
      are happy enough. But the limited information flow means the team
      doesn't perform nearly as well as a collocated team.

      William
    • Jon Kern
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
        i conducted two long-distance love affairs... the first one didn't work. but it gave me great experience such
        that the second one worked. and i'm still married to her.

        -- jon

        Ron Jeffries said the following on 3/19/2006 5:37 AM:
        On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 4:40:55 AM, Leina wrote:

        > I would like to hear from those who have experiences of being in a
        > team where members (including customers)were dispersed geographically.

        > I have worked on such a team. Although most of the communication was
        > conducted electronically (phone, teleconference, emails, ftp) all team
        > members did meet at an agreed location (for 1-3 days for every 1-2
        > months depending on the state of the system)for face-to-face meetings.

        > Can such a set-up work in agile development?

        Agile practices help in such a situation, because it is focused on
        concrete deliverables and rapid iterations.

        However, like a long-distance love affair, it's not easy, and
        nowhere near as good as being together.

        Ron Jeffries
        www.XProgramming.com
        We know less about the project today than at any time in the future.
          -- Chet Hendrickson
        You mean today is the dumbest day of the rest of my life?
          -- Ron Jeffries

      • Jon Kern
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
          one great tool to add to your list is the use of a dedicated IRC channel... and skype. for synchronous communication (assume you already have phone and IM).

          for asynchronous
              email lists
              email to individuals
              smth like JIRA to manage the iteration deliverables
                 jot down the feature/user story, bug, or task ("issue")
                 anyone adds comments (for example if it is unclear)
                 only certain people can promote feature to being scheduled in a release
                 use priority to control position in the stack (e.g., blockers appear at top)
                 only certain people can close the feature
                 track estimates and actuals
                 see roadmap and progress at a glance

          i work with people in multiple continents this way.

          and yes, add some extra time for the fact that everyone is not in the same room. hopefully this is mitigated by using really talented people wherever they happen to be.
          -- jon

          William Pietri said the following on 3/19/2006 2:29 PM:
          Ron Jeffries wrote:
          > On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 4:40:55 AM, Leina wrote:
          >

          >> I would like to hear from those who have experiences of being in a
          >> team where members (including customers)were dispersed geographically.
          >> [...] Can such a set-up work in agile development?
          >>

          > Agile practices help in such a situation, because it is focused on
          > concrete deliverables and rapid iterations.
          >
          > However, like a long-distance love affair, it's not easy, and
          > nowhere near as good as being together.

          That's a great way of putting it. I'm coaching two distributed agile
          teams now. The agile approach is definitely helping, and all concerned
          are happy enough. But the limited information flow means the team
          doesn't perform nearly as well as a collocated team.

          William

        • Ron Jeffries
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
            On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 7:58:37 PM, Jon Kern wrote:

            > i conducted two long-distance love affairs... the first one didn't
            > work. but it gave me great experience such that the second one
            > worked. and i'm still married to her.

            Do the two of you ever plan to get together? Any special plans if
            you do? ;->

            Ron Jeffries
            www.XProgramming.com
            Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to
            accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference. --Calvin and Hobbes
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
              Message
              You forgot a wiki. I find it incredibly useful for asynchronous communications with teammates (even when we are all co-located).

              Alain Désilets

              Ron Jeffries wrote:
              > On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 4:40:55 AM, Leina wrote:
              >

              >> I would like to hear from those who have experiences of being in a
              >> team where members (including customers)were dispersed geographically.
              >> [...] Can such a set-up work in agile development?
              >>

              > Agile practices help in such a situation, because it is focused on
              > concrete deliverables and rapid iterations.
              >
              > However, like a long-distance love affair, it's not easy, and
              > nowhere near as good as being together.

              That's a great way of putting it. I'm coaching two distributed agile
              teams now. The agile approach is definitely helping, and all concerned
              are happy enough. But the limited information flow means the team
              doesn't perform nearly as well as a collocated team.

              William

            • Jade Ohlhauser
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
                I agree. Our wiki has proven to be one of those things that I now can't image developing without. I value it as much as source control and defect tracking.

                Jade Ohlhauser
                Product Manager
                RPM Software
                www.rpmsoftware.com 403-265-6727

                Usability testing <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Usability+testing&w1=Usability+testing&w2=Usability&w3=Agile+software+development&w4=Agile+development&c=4&s=93&.sig=Lq9LzHOR6YRi-lf0j4B6dw> Usability <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Usability&w1=Usability+testing&w2=Usability&w3=Agile+software+development&w4=Agile+development&c=4&s=93&.sig=PVbhEkH6SIuzHMpGgwL25w> Agile software development <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Agile+software+development&w1=Usability+testing&w2=Usability&w3=Agile+software+development&w4=Agile+development&c=4&s=93&.sig=JG8w5gzRWtYA_eGc8BIx7A>