Re: [agile-usability] Virtual Agile Teams

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
      On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 4:40:55 AM, Leina wrote:

      > I would like to hear from those who have experiences of being in a
      > team where members (including customers)were dispersed geographically.

      > I have worked on such a team. Although most of the communication was
      > conducted electronically (phone, teleconference, emails, ftp) all team
      > members did meet at an agreed location (for 1-3 days for every 1-2
      > months depending on the state of the system)for face-to-face meetings.

      > Can such a set-up work in agile development?

      Agile practices help in such a situation, because it is focused on
      concrete deliverables and rapid iterations.

      However, like a long-distance love affair, it's not easy, and
      nowhere near as good as being together.

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      We know less about the project today than at any time in the future.
      -- Chet Hendrickson
      You mean today is the dumbest day of the rest of my life?
      -- Ron Jeffries
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
        Ron Jeffries wrote:
        > On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 4:40:55 AM, Leina wrote:
        >

        >> I would like to hear from those who have experiences of being in a
        >> team where members (including customers)were dispersed geographically.
        >> [...] Can such a set-up work in agile development?
        >>

        > Agile practices help in such a situation, because it is focused on
        > concrete deliverables and rapid iterations.
        >
        > However, like a long-distance love affair, it's not easy, and
        > nowhere near as good as being together.

        That's a great way of putting it. I'm coaching two distributed agile
        teams now. The agile approach is definitely helping, and all concerned
        are happy enough. But the limited information flow means the team
        doesn't perform nearly as well as a collocated team.

        William
      • Jon Kern
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
          i conducted two long-distance love affairs... the first one didn't work. but it gave me great experience such
          that the second one worked. and i'm still married to her.

          -- jon

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
            one great tool to add to your list is the use of a dedicated IRC channel... and skype. for synchronous communication (assume you already have phone and IM).

            for asynchronous
                email lists
                email to individuals
                smth like JIRA to manage the iteration deliverables
                   jot down the feature/user story, bug, or task ("issue")
                   anyone adds comments (for example if it is unclear)
                   only certain people can promote feature to being scheduled in a release
                   use priority to control position in the stack (e.g., blockers appear at top)
                   only certain people can close the feature
                   track estimates and actuals
                   see roadmap and progress at a glance

            i work with people in multiple continents this way.

            and yes, add some extra time for the fact that everyone is not in the same room. hopefully this is mitigated by using really talented people wherever they happen to be.
            -- jon

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
              On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 7:58:37 PM, Jon Kern wrote:

              > i conducted two long-distance love affairs... the first one didn't
              > work. but it gave me great experience such that the second one
              > worked. and i'm still married to her.

              Do the two of you ever plan to get together? Any special plans if
              you do? ;->

              Ron Jeffries
              www.XProgramming.com
              Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to
              accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference. --Calvin and Hobbes
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
                Message
                You forgot a wiki. I find it incredibly useful for asynchronous communications with teammates (even when we are all co-located).

                Alain Désilets

                Ron Jeffries wrote:
                > On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 4:40:55 AM, Leina wrote:
                >

                >> I would like to hear from those who have experiences of being in a
                >> team where members (including customers)were dispersed geographically.
                >> [...] Can such a set-up work in agile development?
                >>

                > Agile practices help in such a situation, because it is focused on
                > concrete deliverables and rapid iterations.
                >
                > However, like a long-distance love affair, it's not easy, and
                > nowhere near as good as being together.

                That's a great way of putting it. I'm coaching two distributed agile
                teams now. The agile approach is definitely helping, and all concerned
                are happy enough. But the limited information flow means the team
                doesn't perform nearly as well as a collocated team.

                William

              • Jade Ohlhauser
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
                  I agree. Our wiki has proven to be one of those things that I now can't image developing without. I value it as much as source control and defect tracking.

                  Jade Ohlhauser
                  Product Manager
                  RPM Software
                  www.rpmsoftware.com 403-265-6727

                  Usability testing <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Usability+testing&w1=Usability+testing&w2=Usability&w3=Agile+software+development&w4=Agile+development&c=4&s=93&.sig=Lq9LzHOR6YRi-lf0j4B6dw> Usability <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Usability&w1=Usability+testing&w2=Usability&w3=Agile+software+development&w4=Agile+development&c=4&s=93&.sig=PVbhEkH6SIuzHMpGgwL25w> Agile software development <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Agile+software+development&w1=Usability+testing&w2=Usability&w3=Agile+software+development&w4=Agile+development&c=4&s=93&.sig=JG8w5gzRWtYA_eGc8BIx7A>