RE: [agile-usability] Re: FUBU

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 16, 2006
      But I wasn't making a statement that "UI people" are better at this than
      developers as a rule. Or that developers are universally bad at it.

      -- Alain:
      No worries. My buttons are pretty easy to push when it comes to
      stereotypes about developpers.
      ----
    • Jon Kern
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2006
        > I think if you have written good FUBU software, you might be
        able to
        >write decent FOBU (For Others, By Us) software also, because you are

        I am not so sure... (except for the "might" part)

        I would surmise the reason FUBU is easy for technical products is because of the intense familiarity with
            - the domain
            - the user tasks
            - the end user needs

        Having worked with the brilliant TogetherSoft development team, the tool was FUBU in the early days and very well done.

        As the feature list expanded to strange things like EJBs, the usability began to wane. The developers read the J2EE specs and technically did things correctly. But, since they had no idea what a J2EE developer needed -- though they expected they knew what was needed, this part of the tool fell short.
        -- jon

        Desilets, Alain said the following on 2/15/2006 3:54 PM:
        So, what's my point?  I have none - at least no big point.  Just
        these observations: developers often design good software for
        developers: FUBU.  Other often design pretty good software for their
        own use: FUBU.  Doing so can lead one to the false sense of belief
        that design is easy - and you can do it for anyone, or anyone else
        can do it for themselves: self-centered design.

        comments invited, and thanks for listening/reading.
        [I really should get a blog and stop using this list as one.  ;-) ]

        -- Alain:
        I think if you have written good FUBU software, you might be able to
        write decent FOBU (For Others, By Us) software also, because you are
        already in the right frame of mind. In other words, you paid a lot of
        attention to yourself as an end user, so you will probably pay
        atttention to those Others as end users. In my view, once your whole
        team has assimilated the "pay attention to the end user" mentra, you are
        80% of the way there.

        Of course, a pitfall is that the developpers might not realise that
        these Other users are not like them... That's the "you are not the user
        (although you may be like them in many respects)" mentra. But I would
        think that this second mentra comes easily once you have assimilated the
        first one.
        ----
      • Jon Kern
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 24, 2006