RE: [agile-usability] FUBU

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 15, 2006
      So, what's my point? I have none - at least no big point. Just
      these observations: developers often design good software for
      developers: FUBU. Other often design pretty good software for their
      own use: FUBU. Doing so can lead one to the false sense of belief
      that design is easy - and you can do it for anyone, or anyone else
      can do it for themselves: self-centered design.

      comments invited, and thanks for listening/reading.
      [I really should get a blog and stop using this list as one. ;-) ]

      -- Alain:
      I think if you have written good FUBU software, you might be able to
      write decent FOBU (For Others, By Us) software also, because you are
      already in the right frame of mind. In other words, you paid a lot of
      attention to yourself as an end user, so you will probably pay
      atttention to those Others as end users. In my view, once your whole
      team has assimilated the "pay attention to the end user" mentra, you are
      80% of the way there.

      Of course, a pitfall is that the developpers might not realise that
      these Other users are not like them... That's the "you are not the user
      (although you may be like them in many respects)" mentra. But I would
      think that this second mentra comes easily once you have assimilated the
      first one.
      ----
    • Jared M. Spool
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 15, 2006
        At 03:54 PM 2/15/2006, Desilets, Alain wrote:
        >I think if you have written good FUBU software, you might be able to
        >write decent FOBU (For Others, By Us) software also, because you are
        >already in the right frame of mind. In other words, you paid a lot of
        >attention to yourself as an end user, so you will probably pay
        >atttention to those Others as end users. In my view, once your whole
        >team has assimilated the "pay attention to the end user" mentra, you are
        >80% of the way there.

        Jeff: Brilliant post -- I'll be stealing ideas from it for months to come!

        Alain: I worked in the Software Engineering groups for DEC and Symbolics
        for many years. I can speak volumes about the FUBU mentality, as that's how
        both of those organizations thrived and, ironically, died.

        These groups had some of the smartest people I've ever had the chance to
        work with. It was incredible.

        Yet, the FUBU mentality really ferments a mindset that makes it hard to
        step back and say, "Maybe we don't really know what makes sense here for
        the real users."

        I just finished reading this brilliant piece in this month's Harvard
        Business Review called "Defeating Feature Fatigue" which talks about how
        consumers choose products. In their study, consumers, when given the chance
        to design a custom digital video player, piled all sorts of features in,
        even though they were keenly aware it would hurt the usability of the design.

        In a FUBU space, where the act of design is part of the mental model
        development, little consideration is given to "how people are going to
        learn this." This makes the transition much harder, in my opinion.

        Both the DEC and Symbolics folks I worked with created some really
        innovative stuff. Stuff that was way ahead of what we still have today.
        But, it was packaged in such a complex environment that it was pretty much
        doomed to fail from the start.

        I don't think you can transition from FUBU to a FOBU environment without a
        major culture shift. (And probably an execution or two.)

        Jared

        4 Lookout Lane, Unit 4d, Middleton, MA 01949
        978 777-9123 jspool@... http://www.uie.com
        Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks
      • klancaster1957
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 15, 2006
          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Desilets, Alain" <alain.desilets@...> wrote:

          > Of course, a pitfall is that the developpers might not realise that
          > these Other users are not like them... That's the "you are not the user
          > (although you may be like them in many respects)" mentra. But I would
          > think that this second mentra comes easily once you have assimilated the
          > first one.
          > ----

          I have to relate a quick story here. I do QA/usability on a large project and also have an extensive background in development. I was talking to one of the developers about an error handling web page that they were using when severe (fatal) errors occurred. It had a somewhat understandable message, followed by the file name where the error occured, the name of the Java class that was the problem, and some trace statements. The conversation went something like the following:

          Me:  "The system already knows where the error occured and can alert the support or development staff to the problem via email."

          Developer: "We need this message for the end users."

          Me: "The end users? They are not going to understand this message, are they?"

          Developer: "Yes they are. I said its for the end users - the developers!"

          Me: "Sigh"

          BTW, the scheme here was that the real end users, policemen in this case, would call support and read the exception data to the support person, who would write it down and email it to the developer.

          Keith

        • Dave Churchville
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 15, 2006
            --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Jared M. Spool" <jspool@...>
            wrote:
            > Yet, the FUBU mentality really ferments a mindset that makes it hard to
            > step back and say, "Maybe we don't really know what makes sense here
            for
            > the real users."
            >

            > Both the DEC and Symbolics folks I worked with created some really
            > innovative stuff. Stuff that was way ahead of what we still have today.
            > But, it was packaged in such a complex environment that it was
            pretty much
            > doomed to fail from the start.
            >
            > I don't think you can transition from FUBU to a FOBU environment
            without a
            > major culture shift. (And probably an execution or two.)

            Yes, I agree with this.

            One thing I've been contemplating is that maybe it isn't as much a
            culture shift to get from FUBU to FOBU (are we really using these
            acronyms?) as much as the presence or absence of "emotional intelligence".

            In other words, in my experience, it takes a certain kind of person to
            really empathize and therefore effective role-play what "The Users"
            are like and what they need.

            You can *intend* to empathize all day long and still not get there. I
            think it's part training, but also part brain-wiring.

            There are developers who understand "users", not just because of FUBU,
            but because they have that empathy wiring. Move them to another
            field, and they'll figure out how to ask the right questions to
            understand those users. The majority I've worked with, unfortunately,
            aren't that way.

            Bill Clinton might have been an excellent UX professional (I feel your
            pain).

            --Dave

            Dave Churchville
            http://www.extremeplanner.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 16, 2006
              There are developers who understand "users", not just because of FUBU,
              but because they have that empathy wiring. Move them to another field,
              and they'll figure out how to ask the right questions to understand
              those users. The majority I've worked with, unfortunately, aren't that
              way.

              -- Alain:
              I think the reason why many developpers behave AS THOUGH they are
              incapable of empathising with the user, is that they are NEVER EXPOSED
              to them, and are given no information about them. How can you empathise
              with someone you have never met and of whom you know nothing?

              If I ask you to "empathise with Joe", will you be able to do it? Of
              course not! How about if I tell you that he just lost his wife in a car
              accident? It probably helps right? How about if I tell you that he has
              five kids under 10 to care for single handedly? I'm sure you feel the
              pain by now. How about if you meet Joe Bloe in person and hear his story
              directly from him? At that point, you will probably feel an urge to help
              him if you can.

              Most of the programmers I meet that work in an agile environment where
              they are directly exposed to the end user and the customer are pretty
              good at empathising with them and understanding user needs. So I think
              the reason why so many programmers behave differently is due to the
              environment they work in, not to an inherent inability to empathise.
              ----
            • Dave Churchville
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 16, 2006
                <alain.desilets@...> wrote:
                > Most of the programmers I meet that work in an agile environment where
                > they are directly exposed to the end user and the customer are pretty
                > good at empathising with them and understanding user needs. So I think
                > the reason why so many programmers behave differently is due to the
                > environment they work in, not to an inherent inability to empathise.

                Well, I agree that the environment is a necessary condition, but I
                don't think it's sufficient. Again, this may be limited to my own
                experience, but having worked with many different types of developers
                in varied environments over 15 years or so, my perspective is that
                there's more to it than just default empathy. (Note: I am a developer
                myself, and notwithstanding some bright moments, I have suffered from
                this problem as well).

                In fact, what has happened is that many people *believe* they are
                empathizing, and they certainly do want to help the user - it's that
                for some reason they are unable to truly see the goals of the user.

                In other words, to take your example of Joe who has 10 kids, I might
                empathize with that, and say, I really want to help Joe, let's build
                an automatic diaper changer.

                In reality, Joe's main goal is to have some alone time once in a
                while, so he'd really like a babysitter.

                So empathy and understanding may not be equivalent here. I don't know
                how else to explain this, it's just my experience. Sounds like you've
                had more luck.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 16, 2006
                  In fact, what has happened is that many people *believe* they are
                  empathizing, and they certainly do want to help the user - it's that for
                  some reason they are unable to truly see the goals of the user.

                  In other words, to take your example of Joe who has 10 kids, I might
                  empathize with that, and say, I really want to help Joe, let's build an
                  automatic diaper changer.

                  -- Alain:
                  In an XP Environment, Joe would tell the developper that what he really
                  needs someone to babysit his kids while he takes some time off. So the
                  developper would never end up building an automatic diaper changer. He
                  might think that building an automatic diaper changer would be more fun
                  than babysitting, but by agreeing to work on an XP team he has accepted
                  the customer's bill of rights that says the customer gets to decide
                  exactly what gets built.

                  Maybe what you mean by "ability to empathise" you really mean "ability
                  to see the forest for the tree and interpret what the customer/user says
                  and come up with innovative designs that address their core needs". If
                  so, I would agree that this is a skill that UI types of people are more
                  likely to possess. But even there, that stereotype is not as strong as
                  you might think. I know LOTS of UI types who CAN'T see the forest for
                  the trees and who get bogged down in details like wording of dialogs,
                  colors, positioning etc... (and those guys aren't all "developper turned
                  UI-guy by accident" types). And I also know LOTS of developpers
                  (especially in the agile world) who are very good at seeing the forest
                  and coming up with the
                  SimplestThingThatCouldPossiblyAddressTheUser'sCoreNeeds.
                  ----
                • Dave Churchville
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 16, 2006
                    <alain.desilets@...> wrote:
                    > Maybe what you mean by "ability to empathise" you really mean "ability
                    > to see the forest for the tree and interpret what the customer/user says
                    > and come up with innovative designs that address their core needs". If
                    > so, I would agree that this is a skill that UI types of people are more
                    > likely to possess.

                    Yes, that's exactly what I mean :-)

                    But I wasn't making a statement that "UI people" are better at this
                    than developers as a rule. Or that developers are universally bad at it.

                    Rather, I think this is a relatively rare skill, in any discipline.

                    Granted, an agile team is less likely to *overbuild* something
                    suboptimal, and with frequent iteration and feedback may come up with
                    a good solution over time. Again, I'm mainly talking about user
                    interfaces and interactions.

                    For example, as a long time agile practitioner, I think I've gotten
                    pretty good at "forest vision", and been able to come up with simple,
                    effective designs to solve core user needs.

                    But I'm still amazed when I run across someone who has a gift for this
                    kind of thinking, and can come up with a variety of alternatives, each
                    of which is easily as good as mine at solving the problem.

                    Again, I just think that's rare. Doesn't mean my solutions aren't
                    "good enough", but there's another level possible.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 16, 2006
                      But I wasn't making a statement that "UI people" are better at this than
                      developers as a rule. Or that developers are universally bad at it.

                      -- Alain:
                      No worries. My buttons are pretty easy to push when it comes to
                      stereotypes about developpers.
                      ----
                    • Jon Kern
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 17, 2006
                        > I think if you have written good FUBU software, you might be
                        able to
                        >write decent FOBU (For Others, By Us) software also, because you are

                        I am not so sure... (except for the "might" part)

                        I would surmise the reason FUBU is easy for technical products is because of the intense familiarity with
                            - the domain
                            - the user tasks
                            - the end user needs

                        Having worked with the brilliant TogetherSoft development team, the tool was FUBU in the early days and very well done.

                        As the feature list expanded to strange things like EJBs, the usability began to wane. The developers read the J2EE specs and technically did things correctly. But, since they had no idea what a J2EE developer needed -- though they expected they knew what was needed, this part of the tool fell short.
                        -- jon

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 24, 2006