The Feature Bob Invented

  • Jade Ohlhauser
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2006

      Neat story

      Jade Ohlhauser
      Product Manager
      RPM Software
      www.rpmsoftware.com 403-265-6727 x704

    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2006
        Jade Ohlhauser wrote:

        > http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/01/24/516810.aspx

        '...Middle-aged and friendly, he was one of our least experienced test
        subjects, yet he caught on to the Ribbon paradigm quickly...

        '"Great!" he replied. "I especially love the way you can use the
        scroll wheel of the mouse to riffle through the tabs; it's so fast and
        easy!"...'

        This is where I was going in the iPod thread.

        For example, after _uploading_ songs to the iPod (_not_
        "downloading"!!!), I started one playing, and felt like turning the
        volume up. The volume went up, and I had to repeat my thumb gesture to
        figure out for myself how I did it.

        I will return to the "iPod sucks" theme shortly, yet in this case the
        Apple usability engineers did a very good job packing many features
        into a tiny interface. You adjust the volume by dragging your thumb on
        the control wheel from right to left and back. The system cleanly
        distinguishes that gesture from the unrelated buttons printed across
        the control wheel.

        And, yes, like the naive user in that story, I often hit the mouse
        wheel before I realize I did it.

        --
        Phlip
        http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!