Re: Office 12 prototypes

  • Dave Churchville
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 6, 2006
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Desilets, Alain" <alain.desilets@n...> wrote:
      > -- Alain:
      > That is my opinion too.
      >
      > But it doesn't really answer the "question" because there are still many
      > different points you could position yourself along the continuum, and
      > it's not clear to me where the sweet spot is. In other words, it's easy
      > to agree that you both need to do some upfront design to understand your
      > user's needs, and at the same get user feedback based on a running piece
      > of code as soon as possible. The hard part is agreeing on how much
      > upfront design is enough and how early is early enough for getting
      > feedback on a running prototype.

      Yes, agreed. I guess that's why they pay us the big bucks ;-)

      Seriously, as with most things, "it depends". Some projects are not very sensitive to UI issues, so a minor bit of up front design, and periodic feedback are fine. For others, a lot more care is needed.

      One example for me is an application I was responsible for that had "expert users" that were used to the current interface so that even minor changes were cause for concern. Consistency was also a problem when adding new features, since the development team wanted to "make it better" than previous approaches. So we needed a lot of user feedback to make sure we weren't improving things beyond the comfort level of the end users.

      I could make up a rule of thumb, but it would still depend on the individual thumb in question. OK, I'll do it anyway as a straw man:

      - Spend no more than half the required UI implementation time understanding user goals and preferences. For UI sensitive applications, get feedback at least once during an iteration using screenshots, prototypes, or whiteboard discussions.

      --Dave

      -----------------------------------
      Dave Churchville
      ExtremePlanner Software
      http://www.extremeplanner.com
      Agile Project Management for Distributed Teams
    • Desiree Sy
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 6, 2006
        At 02:45 PM 1/6/2006, Dave Churchville wrote:
        >How do you get rapid feedback on aspects of a user interface that are non-trivial to build?
        >
        >For a classic 2 week iteration on an agile project, does it make sense to just build the interface, then get feedback, and maybe redo the interface in an entirely different way?

        A quick answer to this follows, but first I want to jump down
        to a later part of Dave's post:

        >In my opinion, you're better served doing something in between - get a good sense of the goals (maybe not at the level of rigor that a pure Interaction Design enthusiast might want), and build an initial UI that meets these goals, then get a customer review of what you've got so far.

        You can't design without goals. Why? Because you won't know
        when your design works unless you're designing towards
        something. And if you don't know when it works, how will you
        know when to stop?

        Jumping back to the original question, the way that you get
        rapid feedback during 2-week iterations on a complex UI is to:

        - Separate the design iterations from the implementation iterations.
        That is, design at least one cycle/sprint ahead of the current one.
        - Chunk the design into smaller, prototypable pieces that address
        subsets of your design goals.
        - Iterate on the chunk as rapidly as possible until you hit the
        goals for that piece.
        - Move to the next chunk, and repeat. Make sure you test the full
        re-assembled workflow.
        - When you've got a verified design that allows a complete workflow
        to be finished by the user, pass the design to the development
        team to be moved into the code base.

        This is an extreme compression of a paper I presented at UPA 2005
        describing a case study of exactly this problem.

        It's not easy, but it's possible. Some of the trickiest, most
        magical parts of the process are to figure out:

        - How to break the design into pieces (which relates to prioritizing
        the design goals, and also having a good understanding of how small
        a piece you break the big design into).
        - What type of prototype to build -- what you want is to use the lowest
        possible fidelity that will correctly verify the goals you're
        checking for the chunk.
        - As mentioned by Larry, you still cannot prototype everything -- it's
        simply not efficient. So you have to have a very good understanding
        of which design goals you can meet without this iteration process,
        and for which goals it's critical that you get observable behavioural
        feedback.
        - Once you have a complete verified design for a big piece of UI, how
        to break that design into implementable chunks (because of course
        the implementation still has to be done in 2-week chunks). There's
        an art in getting those implementation pieces into production code.
        There's also a certain joy to it, because when our end-users start
        using the half-done design, they *inevitably* ask for the other half.
        Then when they get the complete UI in 2 or 4 weeks, they think we're
        freakin' wizards, and the whole team gets to bask in glory. :)

        Desirée

        --
        Desirée Sy Phone: 416-874-8296
        Interaction Designer Email: dsy@...
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 8, 2006
          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Desiree Sy <dsy@a...> wrote:

          > You can't design without goals. Why? Because you won't know
          > when your design works unless you're designing towards
          > something. And if you don't know when it works, how will you
          > know when to stop?

          To the TDD developers in the crowd this rational should sound pretty
          familar.

          Designers - those determining how the software should look and behave
          understanding, goals and tasks to drive design. Understanding those
          goals is the "writing the test first" bit. When a designer proposes
          a design solution, it's validated against that user, goal, and task
          understanding. If you don't have user, goal, and task understanding,
          then you're _not_ designing test first. Developers who use TDD know
          how queezy that makes them feel. Now you might get some
          understanding of how queezy UCD people feel when people suggest
          functional design without any tests - user goal and task
          understanding - to validate that design.

          As Larry suggests, you don't need real live users to do this
          testing. If you have your "tests" in place - user/goal/task
          understanding, then you can assume the role of the user engaged in a
          task and inspect on their behalf, and with your own design
          understanding engaged as well. Again, for the unit testing
          developers in the audience, this is a bit like mocking the database.
          Saying you absolutely must have a user to test functionality is like
          telling a good developer that their code absolutely must talk to the
          Oracle database to be tested. True, at some point in time you'll
          need to connect the the expense, slow, constrained resource to test -
          be it a big database, external service, or lab of hand-selected
          users. But, in the mean time you can increase test-cycle time
          by "mocking" the users in a UI inspection. [I'm referring to mock-
          object style testing here not making fun of the users - which I know
          no one does. ;-) ]

          > Jumping back to the original question, the way that you get
          > rapid feedback during 2-week iterations on a complex UI is to:
          >
          > - Separate the design iterations from the implementation iterations.
          > That is, design at least one cycle/sprint ahead of the current
          one.
          > - Chunk the design into smaller, prototypable pieces that address
          > subsets of your design goals.
          > - Iterate on the chunk as rapidly as possible until you hit the
          > goals for that piece.
          > - Move to the next chunk, and repeat. Make sure you test the full
          > re-assembled workflow.
          > - When you've got a verified design that allows a complete workflow
          > to be finished by the user, pass the design to the development
          > team to be moved into the code base.

          The important thing to unerstand about moving from user
          understanding, goals, and tasks through to a good prospective
          functional design is that it is /design/ - just like writing code is
          design. Start with tests, propose solutions, run tests, adjust
          design or add more, run tests, rinse and repeat.... UCD is very
          iterative, and very test driven. The protyping is done on paper or
          sometimes with throw-away spiked code. And, sadly the testing isn't
          automated - at least until we can come up with some cool robots with
          artificial intelligence and emotions that can simulate people with
          goals. [But if you've seen iRobot, you know what goes wrong
          there....]

          Not iterating over the design prior to handing it develpers to build
          seems to me to be a bit negligent. [that's not to say I don't do it
          myself. But it's also true that not 100% of my code is covered by
          unit tests either.] I can iterate over a dozen UI choices on paper
          in a couple hours. It's hard for any developer, including me, in any
          programming environment to outperform that.

          Thanks all for your posts on this thread!

          -Jeff
        • Larry Constantine
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 8, 2006
            Elegantly framed, Jeff.

            Gaining a clear understanding of your users, their intentions, and tasks
            *is* the UI design equivalent of TDD. I just never thought of it that way
            before. In practice, we usually "test" trial designs against the task cases
            (essential use cases) to verify that the tasks can be performed with the
            design and to compare interaction efficiency to the ideal (essential form).

            --Larry Constantine, IDSA
          • Dave Churchville
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 8, 2006
              --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Patton" <jpatton@a...> wrote:
              > > You can't design without goals. Why? Because you won't know
              > > when your design works unless you're designing towards
              > > something. And if you don't know when it works, how will you
              > > know when to stop?
              >
              > To the TDD developers in the crowd this rational should sound pretty
              > familar.

              Actually, that's a good analogy...and another way to frame the question.

              To summarize, the original question centered around how to effectively get rapid feedback (iterate) on a non-trivial UI design during a typical agile sprint/iteration of 2 weeks.

              One of the suggestions was to do the design one iteration in advance of the implementation with designers handing it over to developers.

              Jeff, yours seems to be to apply a TDD style to UI design (Test Driven Design), where you can determine the goals and scenarios first, then iterate possible UIs internally against those goals before showing it to the real users (which is a relatively slow exercise). I resonate with that approach and it's consistent with what's actually worked for me in the past (since I've never worked with dedicated interface/iteraction designers).

              Obviously, many developers don't practice TDD as such, and many software teams don't test their UI designs with end users or even internal stakeholders until after a development cycle. Are they wrong?

              I'd suggest that any approach that produces good results repeatably is probably good enough from a pure business standpoint, although a craftsman might cringe at this. In fact, I'd argue that TDD done right is actually rather difficult, and requires an experienced and skilled practitioner to get a good result. Rather like good UI design.

              So that kind of suggests that a team is better off with a skillful UI designer that does very little external usability research than with a poor UI designer and substantial research.

              Maybe that explains why so much software suffers from barely usable interfaces, that only improve after several revisions of real world customer feedback.

              Can anyone tell me why I might be wrong about this?

              --Dave

              -----------------------------------
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 9, 2006
                At 12:04 AM 1/9/2006, Dave Churchville wrote:
                > I'd suggest that any approach that produces good results repeatably
                > is probably good enough from a pure business standpoint, although a
                > craftsman might cringe at this.

                Well, sure -- but that's just getting back to the definition of
                "good results," which is just getting back to how you define
                your goals. So I feel my original point about the impossibility
                of designing well without goals still holds.

                > In fact, I'd argue that TDD done
                > right is actually rather difficult, and requires an experienced and
                > skilled practitioner to get a good result. Rather like good UI design.
                >
                > So that kind of suggests that a team is better off with a skillful
                > UI designer that does very little external usability research than
                > with a poor UI designer and substantial research.

                I'm not going to argue that a team with someone competent is not
                better off than one with incompetent staff. That seems self-evident.

                However, there are two catches:

                1. Here's a nice piece of dogmatism, but I'll stick it out there,
                anyway, because I truly believe it: There is no such thing as
                a skilled UI designer that does very little external usability
                research.

                I know that seems to contradict what I said earlier, when I stated
                that you cannot prototype everything, nor can you test everything
                with end-users, but actually it doesn't....

                2. ... because the shortcuts that a very good UX person uses (empirically
                drawn guidelines, a deep understanding of the domain for which she
                designs, and even the depth of UI solutions available to her, etc.)
                are drawn from her experience of having seen hundreds of users
                testing interfaces. That's the Catch-22: you can't skip the
                iterative design process until you've built enough knowledge to
                know when to skip it, which you can't do until you've logged hundreds
                of hours of iterative design, prototyping, and testing.

                Even if you're lucky enough to hire a skilled UI designer that
                built up that knowledge somewhere else, I would be very wary of
                any UI designer that wouldn't insist on "external usability research"
                for *some* aspects of UI design.

                Which is just a long way of saying that a competent User Experience
                practitioner will do usability investigations because for most
                (consumer, at least) products, it's something that's required from
                a "pure business standpoint," as you say. That's not to say that
                we can't and shouldn't do it faster, and with much less documentation.

                Desirée
                Alias
              • Jared M. Spool
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 9, 2006
                  At 02:39 PM 1/9/2006, Desiree Sy wrote:
                  >There is no such thing as a skilled UI designer that does very little
                  >external usability research.

                  <snip>

                  >...because the shortcuts that a very good UX person uses (empirically
                  >drawn guidelines, a deep understanding of the domain for which she
                  >designs, and even the depth of UI solutions available to her, etc.) are
                  >drawn from her experience of having seen hundreds of users testing interfaces.

                  Actually, I don't believe that statement to be true.

                  I have seen, with my own eyes, people who intuitively can design an ideal
                  solution without having conducted any external research. They approach the
                  problem, think about it for a while, and arrive at a solution that is as
                  good or better than any I could have arrived at with all the data I'd
                  collected. (In one case, one such designer arrived at a solution that
                  encapsulated 2 years of hard research -- about 70 user interviews and 50
                  field visits -- with 'a few hours of thinking about it on his deck.' I was
                  stunned at how he hit the nail on the head so accurately.)

                  There are those who walk among us who can do this. But not the majority of
                  us. Desiree is right that most skilled UI designers need to have external
                  research to guide their knowledge and decisions. *Most*, but not *all*.

                  I wish I had the talent to create designs without the external research,
                  but alas, I'm not nearly that good. Hell, I'm not even that good at
                  creating designs when I *do* have the research. I leave that to the
                  professionals...

                  Jared

                  4 Lookout Lane, Unit 4d, Middleton, MA 01949
                  978 777-9123 jspool@... http://www.uie.com
                  Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks
                • Larry Constantine
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 10, 2006
                    Jared wrote:

                    > I have seen, with my own eyes, people who intuitively can design an ideal
                    > solution without having conducted any external research....
                    > There are those who walk among us who can do this. But not the majority of
                    > us. Desiree is right that most skilled UI designers need to have external
                    > research to guide their knowledge and decisions. *Most*, but not *all*.

                    I had intended to jump in with this point, but Jared beat me to it. I agree
                    about the special few gifted "intuitive" (nonempirical?) designers. I have
                    had the privilege of working with and learning from some of the best visual
                    and interaction designers on the planet, pros who can hit the target square
                    on without benefit of external research and minimal reliance on user
                    testing. I have noticed a few things about those among us who can design
                    well in this manner. (You know me, I always want to understand what is going
                    on when I see someone doing magic.) The term "intuitive" is appealing, but I
                    think there may be some specific talents and techniques behind the widget
                    wizardry, and maybe we can learn from what such magicians do.

                    Most of them are strong visual thinkers. They not only can visualize designs
                    quickly, even without putting pencil to paper or marker to board, but they
                    are able to carry out gedanken experiments to evaluate their designs,
                    rapidly walking through imaginary interaction scenarios in their heads. I
                    have been on teams where the group struggled to come up with alternatives
                    while a star designer sat quietly constructing and testing mental prototypes
                    before describing a brilliant combination.

                    They are also good at what social psychologists refer to as role taking,
                    that is, they can easily take on the role of or put themselves in the
                    position of particular users. Often they seem to be able literally to see
                    how something might look to someone else. These role-taking designers often
                    make strikingly good guesses about how particular kinds of users will act
                    and react even in arenas in which they have little or no subject matter
                    expertise or experience.

                    It may be a related faculty that they tend to be good at what Meilir
                    Page-Jones calls "dereferencing." They can consciously step out of the
                    frame, as it were, to get a new perspective on a problem. This serves them
                    well not only in creative idea generation, but also in being able to step
                    back and look with a fresh and critical eye at their own ideas to see where
                    there will be problems.

                    Indeed, many of the best are fanatically persistent problem solvers who
                    worry away at working through toward that ideal solution. They are far more
                    invested in finding the best solution than most designers I have known, yet
                    they have less ego-investment in their own ideas or in any particular
                    approach.

                    There is probably much more to it--could be a good topic for an article
                    sometime--but these are a start in terms of what might be going on with the
                    best intuitive/nonempirical designers: visual thinking, gedanken
                    experiments, role taking, dereferencing, and fanatical focus on solutions.
                    Some of these are possibly largely matters of brain wiring (such as visual
                    thinking), but others might be learnable skills to some degree.

                    --Larry Constantine, IDSA
                  • kauerrolemodel
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 18, 2006
                      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Constantine"
                      <lconstantine@f...> wrote:
                      > Jared wrote:
                      > > I have seen, with my own eyes, people who intuitively can design
                      an ideal
                      > > solution without having conducted any external research....
                      >
                      > [snip]
                      > Most of them are strong visual thinkers...
                      > They are also good at what social psychologists refer to as role
                      taking...
                      > It may be a related faculty that they tend to be good at what Meilir
                      > Page-Jones calls "dereferencing."...
                      > Indeed, many of the best are fanatically persistent problem solvers...

                      Hello Larry, et al...

                      I'm new to this group at the invitation of Mr. Patton. Some of you
                      may know who RoleModel Software is (http://rolemodelsoftware.com), as
                      we were the first custom software development company that I know of
                      that committed themselves to building software with XP. We made that
                      decision in 1998 and have been doing it ever since (though we were
                      doing very little of it several years ago when software gigs were hard
                      for anyone to come by).

                      I've been doing custom software development for years in an agile way
                      (before we knew that we should call it agile), first in Smalltalk
                      (where I pair-programmed as often as anyone would let me and had my
                      most successful projects in team rooms). When I started my business,
                      I was trying to figure out how to market what I believed was the best
                      way to develop software, and Kent finally convinced me that if you do
                      all of the practices all of the time - or at least make them the rule
                      rather than the exception - you had a viable sustainable process and
                      there was data to prove it... he didn't tell me that the proof was
                      left to the adopter :-).

                      I've had teams with "usability" people on them, and I've had some
                      without. Generally, the teams with the usability people on them had
                      more pleasant user interfaces and bigger budgets to get there. I've
                      seen software developers have a pretty good intuitive feel for
                      usability issues, and have certainly become more sensitive to it
                      myself over time. When you have developers like that talking to
                      customers/end-users who don't have blinders on, I really haven't seen
                      the value (relative to cost) for a usability expert to be brought in.
                      Sometimes, access to end-users are hard to get for a variety of
                      reasons (almost never good ones, in my book, but they are reasons
                      nonetheless). It takes a special kind of person who I'm still looking
                      for to get enough input from end users who are hard to get access to
                      when project sponsors are the ones blocking your access.

                      Unfortunately, in my world, it's VERY difficult to know ahead of time
                      what I'm going to face until we're into the project awhile. And I
                      have to quote a price for a project before I have enough data to know
                      whether I can get away with little outside usability help or need a
                      lot (or need a new project sponsor).

                      So, I have two questions:

                      1. How do you work around this problem realistically? (I'd prefer
                      input from people who have tried things and been successful... I've
                      gotten pretty good at assessing new clients/projects with very little
                      introduction... I'm not talking about hypothetical situations, I'm
                      talking real ones).

                      2. Having learned how to negotiate projects where I have SOME slack to
                      bring in usability experts when my development team is either weak in
                      this area or just needs more concentrated help, I currently find
                      myself in a situation where I have some budget to bring in the right
                      kind of help for one or more projects I have going right now that are
                      either in their early stages or just getting started. Is there anyone
                      out there that thinks they might have the right skills and time
                      available in the next few months to work through this with me in North
                      Carolina? If so, please respond to me privately and we can talk about
                      possibilities.

                      Ken
                    • Peter Boersma
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 19, 2006
                        Ken wrote:

                        > I'm new to this group at the invitation of Mr. Patton.

                        Welcome!

                        > Unfortunately, in my world, it's VERY difficult to know ahead of time
                        > what I'm going to face until we're into the project awhile. And I have
                        > to quote a price for a project before I have enough data to know
                        > whether I can get away with little outside usability help or need a lot
                        > (or need a new project sponsor).

                        Isn't this true for both the usability work and the software development
                        costs? Or do you need an expert at estimating the usability complexities of
                        the project, just like you estimate the complexity of the software required?

                        > [..] How do you work around this problem realistically? (I'd prefer
                        > input from people who have tried things and been successful... I've
                        > gotten pretty good at assessing new clients/projects with very little
                        > introduction... I'm not talking about hypothetical situations, I'm
                        > talking real ones).

                        At my previous employer we developed a use-csase based estimation model with
                        complexity scales for software and usability. As soon as a first use case
                        model could be drafted, an estimate for the workload of several competences
                        (software architects, developers, QA-staff, front-end developers and user
                        experience designers) could be derived.
                        The model was built using historical data; we could compare the data over
                        projects because most of our projects were the same (transactional
                        applications for government agencies). It was evaluated and updated annualy
                        by feeding the data from the year's projects into it.

                        Peter
                        --
                        Peter Boersma | Consultant User Experience | User Intelligence
                        Vlaardingenlaan 9d | 1059 GL | Amsterdam, The Netherlands
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 19, 2006
                          Ken,

                          Good to see you checking in here.

                          > I've had teams with "usability" people on them, and I've had some
                          > without. Generally, the teams with the usability people on them had
                          > more pleasant user interfaces and bigger budgets to get there. I've
                          > seen software developers have a pretty good intuitive feel for
                          > usability issues, and have certainly become more sensitive to it
                          > myself over time. When you have developers like that talking to
                          > customers/end-users who don't have blinders on, I really haven't seen
                          > the value (relative to cost) for a usability expert to be brought in.
                          > Sometimes, access to end-users are hard to get for a variety of
                          > reasons (almost never good ones, in my book, but they are reasons
                          > nonetheless). It takes a special kind of person who I'm still looking
                          > for to get enough input from end users who are hard to get access to
                          > when project sponsors are the ones blocking your access.

                          Developers with insight and some skills and willingness to collaborate with
                          both end-users and customers can certainly turn out decent user interfaces.
                          Indeed, Lucy and I have made our marks in part by training developers in
                          interaction design and usability. So, there is no magic that people with one
                          set of initials after their names can have that is unavailable to those with
                          a different set.

                          But, yes, enhanced usability does not come free (at least not usually)
                          anymore than does any of the other "ilities" of software. One could reverse
                          your assertion by noting that projects with lower budgets did not have
                          usability people and ended up with less "pleasant" user interfaces.
                          Actually, that choice of adjective says a lot about what was being purchased
                          by having usability people involved. I aim a lot higher in my work. Indeed,
                          "pleasant" design and user satisfaction rarely figure high in my agenda,
                          which is dominated by reducing training time, cutting errors, speeding up
                          task completion, and the like. And that's why one should include usability
                          (people, process,...) in the budget.

                          > Unfortunately, in my world, it's VERY difficult to know ahead of time
                          > what I'm going to face until we're into the project awhile. And I
                          > have to quote a price for a project before I have enough data to know
                          > whether I can get away with little outside usability help or need a
                          > lot (or need a new project sponsor).

                          A perennial problem for all of us. That is why I only work on a
                          time-and-travel basis.

                          As with programming, one tends to get what usability one pays for. If you
                          only budget for a day of some outside expert's time to "look over" the UI
                          and "make some recommendations" you will not get a lot to show for it--but
                          you should get something. On the other hand, if you bring in a good
                          interaction designer to become part of your team and work through the whole
                          contract, you should get a whole lot, including some "technology transfer"
                          as your team learns more about usability and how to improve it.

                          As to real world experience with agile usability, I've had a fair amount of
                          it, some better than others. On one project for McKesson, we invested in
                          heavy BDUF, then went into a classic XP iterative development. That project
                          went swimmingly well and has been written up in two papers at foUSE 2002 and
                          forUse 2003. (I'll send .PDFs to anyone who asks for them.) But it doesn't
                          address your dilemma, as UI was a major budget item because the whole name
                          of the game was cutting training for nurses, reducing medical mistakes, and
                          speeding up patient management.

                          Larry Constantine, IDSA
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 20, 2006
                            --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "kauerrolemodel"
                            <kenauer@r...> wrote:

                            > --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Constantine"
                            > <lconstantine@f...> wrote:
                            > > Jared wrote:
                            > > > I have seen, with my own eyes, people who intuitively can design
                            > an ideal
                            > > > solution without having conducted any external research....
                            > >
                            > > [snip]
                            > > Most of them are strong visual thinkers...
                            > > They are also good at what social psychologists refer to as role
                            > taking...
                            > > It may be a related faculty that they tend to be good at what Meilir
                            > > Page-Jones calls "dereferencing."...
                            > > Indeed, many of the best are fanatically persistent problem solvers...
                            >
                            > I've had teams with "usability" people on them, and I've had some
                            > without. Generally, the teams with the usability people on them had
                            > more pleasant user interfaces and bigger budgets to get there. I've
                            > seen software developers have a pretty good intuitive feel for
                            > usability issues, and have certainly become more sensitive to it
                            > myself over time. When you have developers like that talking to
                            > customers/end-users who don't have blinders on, I really haven't seen
                            > the value (relative to cost) for a usability expert to be brought in.

                            Let me see if I can connect Larry's comments above and yours. Ken you
                            mentioned a sensitivity to usability issues, and I'm not sure I've
                            seen it as that - not exactly. I find myself fairly insensitive to
                            usability issues at times. In my current role I've been dubbed the
                            "human factors person" which means developers and business analysts
                            come up to me a dozen times a day and ask me how something should
                            look, or "is this better that that?" I find I can't really answer
                            their questions - I just don't know. But, I then begin to ask them a
                            bit about the person using the software. "Who are they? what do they
                            know? What are they trying to accmplish when they'd see this on the
                            screen?" As soon as I can build a mental model in my head of the
                            person, then I can answer the questions. I've never seen it as being
                            good at usability so much as being good at empathy. Larry's comments
                            about role taking and de-referencing hit home there.

                            I believe the ability to do that comes naturally to some people. This
                            may be the type of developer you're describing Ken. Of course there's
                            also the visual thinking thing, and bit of visual design aptitude
                            doesn't hurt either. But the role-taking thing I think is essential.

                            [I've got prior rants on self-centered design vs. user centered design
                            - basically people with design opinions that can't or won't role take
                            are self-centered designers since all design decisions they make are
                            made from their own perspective.]

                            While the ability to role-take may come naturally to some, it doesn't
                            mean that if you don't have it you're out of luck. Asking questions
                            about users, observing them, talking with them - all of this is user
                            research. If you write all that stuff down, represent it some way,
                            you've built a model that represents your understanding of the user.
                            If, as you make evaluations about good and bad UI, you try to make
                            them from the perspective of what you know about that user, you're
                            starting to do that role taking.

                            Building these types of models repeatedly strengthens your role-taking
                            muscles. My assertion here is that if you don't naturally have
                            strong role-taking muscles, you can exercise to strenthen them. If
                            you're already strong at it, exercising makes you even stronger.

                            Pretend for a moment you had a couch to move up a flight of stairs and
                            you just didn't have the strength to do it. I'd go find a big strong
                            person to move it. Pretend you moved couches for a living, and you
                            didn't have the strength to do it. You can't have a big strong guy
                            follow you around, so you'll have to do a bit of weight lifting to get
                            that strength.

                            If you're in the business of building software, building up that
                            end-user empathy helps you make the dozens of day to day decisions
                            that affect the product features it has, and how it looks and works.
                            You can hire a person already strong at it - a usability expert - a
                            strong couch-mover. Or you could give everyone on the team a bit of
                            understanding on how user centered design works, and some exercises to
                            help them do a little usability strength training. You may not need a
                            heavyweight usability person if a few of your people can double up on
                            problems and work together.

                            Ken I'm hearing that you've observed that when you have developers
                            with those skills, you don't need the expert. I'll second Larry's
                            suggestion that training rank and file developers is a good way to go.
                            I'm a victim of that strategy. Five years ago now Larry & Lucy
                            trained this rank and file developer.

                            > Sometimes, access to end-users are hard to get for a variety of
                            > reasons (almost never good ones, in my book, but they are reasons
                            > nonetheless). It takes a special kind of person who I'm still looking
                            > for to get enough input from end users who are hard to get access to
                            > when project sponsors are the ones blocking your access.

                            Strong couch movers can get that sofa up the stairs fast. Weeklings
                            can't. You've got to make the most of yout time with user. Those
                            experienced with doing UCD stuff have a few more tools in their
                            toolbelt to make the best use of that time. If they're good they can
                            come away from a little user exposure with understanding and models
                            that help the rest of the team empathize or role-take.

                            One final note on end users: I very often see users as self-centered
                            designers [reference the comment above]. By that I mean they make
                            decisions purely from their own perspecive. This can be dangerous if
                            you're asking one type of user to speak, give information, or make
                            decisions on behalf of another type of user. What you're really doing
                            is asking them to role-take. And, I suspect they're no better at it
                            than the average developer is.

                            Being able to understand and assume the role of a user of the software
                            and make judgments on their behalf seems like a cornerstone of user
                            centered design approaches - at least some of them. For me, it's the
                            only thing that allows me to make the day to day decisions I need to
                            about the look, feel, and behavior of the software.

                            Thanks for posting Ken.