RE: [agile-usability] Re: just one bug's enough to make a program useless

    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 3, 2006
      Maybe PhotoShop defended the "feature" where Undo-Undo redoes the undid
      thing.

      That's actually useful in some situations, because you can do "blink
      comparator" from one keystroke.

      Never mind.

      -- Alain:
      Interesting point. Do you think this is something that you would be
      likely to find out through upfront design and paper prototyping?

      My guess is that this is exactly the kind of thing that does not become
      apparent until (even to the end user) until you look at real users
      laying their hands on the real thing and trying to carry out a real
      task.
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 3, 2006
        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Brian Marick <marick@t...>
        wrote:
        > P.S. Making changes to improve the usability for testers does have
        > business value, unless their time costs nothing. I have some faith,
        > but no evidence, that it would also improve the code, much like
        > catering to JUnit or Fit does.

        In the situation I was thinking about, making changes to the delivered
        product to better support testers would have broken business rules in
        the application. Basically it would have made it easier/faster for the
        tester to set up and tear down test data by forgoing some of the rules
        around creating and deleting - and also installing quick navigation to
        jump from creation directly to transaction entry, again, inapropriate
        for our app, but workflow the testers did often.

        Alain is right that lots of these tedious bits of testing should be
        automated.

        You're right that spending a little money to help testers complete
        their work faster - or not go crazy doing it - is a good idea. We just
        need to know why we're doing it. If it was a feature strictly for
        testing, I'd want some way to hide or disable it from a production
        release.

        But, your point is well taken. Also Michael's point you referred to as
        well.

        thanks,

        -Jeff
      • Larry Constantine
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 4, 2006
          Alain wrote:

          > By their nature, bugs cannot be caught by design. They can only be
          > caught after the buggy implementation has been implemented. This is one
          > of the great advantage of early delivery and TDD. They allow you to get
          > actual running software in the hands of users early, and catch bugs
          > early on in the process.

          Many bugs (both code bugs and usability defects) can be avoided by effective
          design practices and found prior to having running software through
          inspections and walkthroughs. Multiple research studies and extensive
          practice have shown inspections to be more cost effective than is testing
          for finding and eliminating bugs (both kinds).

          --Larry Constantine, IDSA [mailto:lconstantine@...]
            Chief Scientist | Constantine & Lockwood, Ltd.