RE: [agile-usability] Learning a new UI

  • Jade Ohlhauser
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 12, 2005
      I enjoyed that one, thanks Jared

      Jade Ohlhauser
      Product Manager
      RPM Software
      www.rpmsoftware.com 403-265-6727 x704

      From: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com [mailto:agile-usability@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jared M. Spool
      Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 10:21 PM
      To: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [agile-usability] Learning a new UI

      Sorry I'm chiming in late on this. It's been a long week and I'm just
      catching up on messages now.

      At 11:43 AM 12/3/2005, Jon Meads wrote:
      >A good quote I once heard was that "The only thing that is
      intuitive is a
      >mother's nipple, everything else is
      learned."

      Actually, a sucking on mother's nipple is "innate", not "intuitive."

      >When someone talks about an intuitive UI, they are
      talking about a UI that
      >matches the user's previous expereinces so well
      that it is easily and
      >quickly recognizable in terms of affordance and
      navigation. And,
      >understanding what they would be means understanding
      the users very well
      >-- which means taking the time to identify who the
      users are and study them.

      I wrote an article about this. You can find it here:
      http://www.uie.com/articles/design_intuitive/

      Hope this helps,

      Jared

      4 Lookout Lane, Unit 4d, Middleton, MA 01949
      978 777-9123   jspool@...  http://www.uie.com
      Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks