RE: [agile-usability] incremental design -vs- overall user experience

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 14, 2004
      helen johnstone wrote:

      > In order to get my head around how this all hangs
      > together, and how to move
      > it forward, I use screen-shots of existing screens
      > and mock-ups of future
      > screens. I put these in powerpoint and add workflows
      > for the various
      > user/business scenarios that we support. I also show
      > groupings of technology
      > - which obviously have a significant impact on the
      > UI style and behaviour,
      > as well functional groupings.

      Would it help if your Integration Tests took pictures
      of every screen (regardless of its platform) in every
      data state, and uploaded all of these to a Web site
      for you and your minions to flick thru?

      > I find it is a great communications tool as well for
      > the rest of the team
      > (development, sales, support etc) so they can
      > understand what we've got and
      > where it is going for those aspects.

      Yeah. I want to automate that. (It turns out to be
      absurdly easy.) Specifically, I want tests that drive
      a GUI view thru a sequence of states, then upload an
      animated GIF of the faked interaction.

      GUI changes would produce new GIFs with their
      variations.

      =====
      Phlip

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • katharina9267
      Message 38 of 38 , May 30 6:07 AM
        Larry,

        This is without a doubt an issue that I came across in my experience
        as a usability manager.

        Do you suggest that this work should be done in iteration 0 using the
        agile methodology? This seems to be increasingly a recommendation in
        a number of white papers and publications such as Scott Ambler.
        However, when you say 'minimal effort' how does this translate into
        time scales - is there an average that you work with in your
        experience let's say 1-2 weeks?

        I also appreciate, if you could forward the pdfs on the collaborative
        UI review method that you mentioned in a previous message.
        Many thanks,
        Katharina

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Constantine"
        <lconstantine@...> wrote:

        > Jeff,
        >
        > An effective way around this problem is to draft a navigation
        architecture
        > (screen flow) in advance based on provisional understanding of user
        roles
        > and tasks in the application. This architecture gives a reasonably
        well
        > thought out framework on which to hang the features and functions
        as they
        > arise "organically." The navigation architecture is itself reviewed
        and
        > refactored as needed as the details of the application emerge. This
        approach
        > is what I describe as "architecture-first development" in the new
        Cutter