Re: [agile-usability] Automatic UI Generation

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
      Hi, Thomas. I'm a programmer rather than a UI person, so take this
      answer for what it's worth.

      Thomas Memmel wrote:

      >On the other side, there is a great movement in the software
      >engineering community towards model-based development. One corner
      >stone of MDB is the transformation of models into code. Following
      >usage-centered design, the traceable transformation from models into
      >UI code is exactly what would characterize a design by engineering
      >(as opposite of design by trial-and-error, like user-centered
      >approaches).

      Is there a great movement for this? I've have seen tools vendors and
      standards committees very excited, but I don't know any productive
      developers who have shifted over to MBD tools. When I contrast this with
      the rapid adoption of a variety of open-source tools and libraries, or
      the recent rise of things like refactoring or unit testing, I suspect
      that MBD is more the latest buzzword-compliant fad than an actual
      movement. Of course, my sample isn't random, so it's perfectly possible
      that I'm missing something.

      >I would be interested in your opinions and what kind of experience
      >you perhaps gathered using model-based software engineering methods.
      >Furthermore, as I think that there is a need of having more and more
      >visual specifiaction (prototypes that make interactivity lookable and
      >feelable) rather than specification with text, of what kind must a
      >visual specification language be? Have you been in situations where a
      >kind of visual specification of the UI was requested as deliverable
      >to programmers? What tools did you use?

      For things where the visual appearance is important, I think visual
      prototypes are great. I have received excellent prototypes built up in
      things like HTML and image files. Of course, I've also received
      excellent prototypes on whiteboards and napkins. My concern with more
      UI-specific prototyping tools (e.g., drag-and-drop builders) is that
      they might constrain innovation as much as they would support it.

      Again, this could be a function of the designers I happen to know, but
      the best ones I've worked with all tend to use pretty general tools
      (e.g., pencils, Photoshop). I've never asked why, but I'd guess that
      they already have the knowledge of the domain that a more focused tool
      would try to embody and their facility with general tools is such that a
      specific tool doesn't get them much performance gain.

      However, I'm very suspicious of any attempt to treat prototypes as
      specifications rather than prototypes. The assumption behind a
      specification is that thinking and learning are now basically done, that
      all relevant factors are known and have been integrated. Perhaps one day
      I'll see a specification where that's really the case, but so far I've
      never seen one come close.