RE: [agile-usability] Learning a new UI

  • shel kimen
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005

      >>We were tasked to deliberately design a UI that was unlike Windows or the Mac UI

      That’s fascinating. What happened with the test? Did you ever get any post-test feedback?

      ./s

    • Jim Kauffman
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005
        No, we weren't given any feedback, but the high school students who tried the UI rated it "easy to learn and use". One out of ten participants had some trouble with it, but she had never used a computer or played a video game. Unfortunately, her verdict was "it's easy to use--I'm just stupid."

        Jim K.

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 4, 2005

          >>Unfortunately, her verdict was "it's easy to use--I'm just stupid."

          Ouch. I mean, really. Makes me so sad. Anyway, thanks for the story. ./s

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 7, 2005
            --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Constantine"
            <lconstantine@f...> wrote:

            > Randy wrote:
            > =====
            > > But if you base your designs on this alone, is there not a danger
            that you
            > may just
            > > perpetuating existing second-rate design? Just because we all
            know
            > something,
            > > and do it, doesn't mean there may not be a better way, wouldn't
            you agree?

            > This, I believe, was the rationale for the Dvorak keyboard, which
            probably
            > means the issues aren't that simple.
            > =====
            >
            > Yes, well the Dvorak keyboard story so often cited is instructive
            in this
            > regard. The Dvorak keyboard layout is indeed more efficient in the
            hands of
            > a fully-trained user, but for most accomplished QWERTY typists, the
            very
            > modest gain is not worth the massive hours of retraining to get
            back up to
            > where they were.....

            This seems similar in direction to an article in UX magazine [volume
            4, issue 4] I just received. The article was on "how financial
            markets value user experience" and explained a simple model for
            change adoption. Change liklihood = f(crisis vs. perceived pain of
            adoption).

            It's not /exactly/ the same thing - but it seems a simple idea to
            keep in mind when proposing any new and better way of doing anything:
            The person using the new thing will likely evaluate the
            cost/annoyance of learning a new thing [pain of adoption] against the
            cost/annoyance of using something familiar [crisis]. If the current
            crisis is high, you can expect users will be more willing to learn.
            With the QUERTY vs. DVORAK thing, the current "crisis" just isn't
            compelling enough to justify change.

            Back to Tobias' original question/comment: "good UI design is not
            necessarily instantly intuitive. Users need to be taught a new UI;
            the trick is to teach them only once. On second and subsequent uses
            the UI should be intuitive."

            The one absolute truth about good UI is that there are no absolute
            truths aboug good UI.

            We all know that it always depends. Is the user in a position
            they /can/ get taught/be trained? Will there /be/ a second use?
            [especially if they're frustrated with the first] How long between
            the first use and the second use? What's the expected frequency of
            use?

            I think it's true to say that good UI design does not need to be
            inuitive - rather it needs to fit its context of use. Software used
            frequently by users in a context where effeciency matters may not
            need to be intuitive - at least that isn't the most important
            factor.

            The second part of the comment went towards memorability - how easy
            is it to remember how to use the system after using it once or
            twice. Again - depends on context of use. We'd hope the software
            would support the task well enough that even if the UI wasn't
            intutive that the effectiveness of support for the task made it
            memorable. But, suppose it wasn't. Suppose it took lots of practice
            and instruction to use well, to remember how to use. Say as much
            practice as a musical instrument or 3D modeling software... that
            wouldn't be so bad.

            Coming full circle, it's a function of the pain the user is in
            without the software and the pain of learning the new stuff. Any
            statements about intuitability, learnability, or memorability need to
            be considered in that context. Dogmatically saying all software
            needs to be intuitable isn't necessarily user-centric.

          • Jared M. Spool
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 9, 2005
              Sorry I'm chiming in late on this. It's been a long week and I'm just
              catching up on messages now.

              At 11:43 AM 12/3/2005, Jon Meads wrote:
              >A good quote I once heard was that "The only thing that is intuitive is a
              >mother's nipple, everything else is learned."

              Actually, a sucking on mother's nipple is "innate", not "intuitive."

              >When someone talks about an intuitive UI, they are talking about a UI that
              >matches the user's previous expereinces so well that it is easily and
              >quickly recognizable in terms of affordance and navigation. And,
              >understanding what they would be means understanding the users very well
              >-- which means taking the time to identify who the users are and study them.

              I wrote an article about this. You can find it here:
              http://www.uie.com/articles/design_intuitive/

              Hope this helps,

              Jared

              4 Lookout Lane, Unit 4d, Middleton, MA 01949
              978 777-9123 jspool@... http://www.uie.com
              Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks
            • Jared M. Spool
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 9, 2005

                Hee. Wrote about this too: http://www.uie.com/articles/embraceable_change/

                Jared

                4 Lookout Lane, Unit 4d, Middleton, MA 01949
                978 777-9123 jspool@... http://www.uie.com
                Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks
              • Jade Ohlhauser
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 12, 2005