Re: [agile-usability] follow the leader

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
      Desilets, Alain wrote:

      > So there must be something else that bothers you about the way MS Excel
      > supports cell vs character navigation with arrow keys. What is it?

      It's because Microsoft invented it! Snarl! Drool! Drool!

      (Uh, the principle of least surprise might also apply...)

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
        Ignacio Facello wrote:

        > I haven't used Excel much, but I remember having the opposite problem
        > -- I am
        > editing a cell, and left-right moves the caret in the text. How do I go to the
        > previous cell?

        The CUA sez it should be <Shift+Tab>.

        > And also, I had the problem the OP described. It all depended on what I was
        > doing, which was frustrating.

        Arrow to a cell and start typing alpha without <F2>. You are still in
        "arrow among cells mode", not "text edit mode", and the system allows
        you to enter text essentially as a "convenience".

        > What bothers me is the different behaviour with no
        > significant visual cue that you are in a different mode.

        Not at all. The frame around the cell goes from a focus-style to an
        edit field frame style.

        Can't you tell? ;-)

        --
        Phlip
        http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
      • Anthony Williams
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
          Phlip <phlip2005@...> writes:

          > On UEdit, when you type off the end of a window, the caret would
          > scroll to the center of the window. This is the correct behavior, and
          > I never saw any editor since use it.

          XEmacs does this, and I presume emacs does too.

          Anthony
          --
          Anthony Williams
          Software Developer
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
            > On UEdit, when you type off the end of a window, the caret would
            > scroll to the center of the window. This is the correct behavior, and
            > I never saw any editor since use it.

            XEmacs does this, and I presume emacs does too.

            -- Alain:
            Yes it does, and I HATE it (eventhough I have been using Emacs for 12
            years). Whenever the screen jumps like that, I completely loose my sense
            of where I am within the buffer.
            ----
          • Anthony Williams
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
              "Desilets, Alain" <alain.desilets@...> writes:

              >> On UEdit, when you type off the end of a window, the caret would
              >> scroll to the center of the window. This is the correct behavior, and
              >> I never saw any editor since use it.
              >
              > XEmacs does this, and I presume emacs does too.
              >
              > -- Alain:
              > Yes it does, and I HATE it (eventhough I have been using Emacs for 12
              > years). Whenever the screen jumps like that, I completely loose my sense
              > of where I am within the buffer.
              > ----

              Interesting. I never really noticed until I read Phlip's message, despite the
              fact that I use XEmacs all the time (including writing this email). But then,
              I'm particularly good at keeping my place when the text moves --- I can read
              whilst scrolling the buffer at a reasonable pace (e.g. when hunting through
              a long list of search results for something relevant).

              I can see the benefit of not having the text jump around whilst you're
              working, but if it doesn't, then the cursor is almost always at the bottom of
              the window, which strikes me as less than ideal.

              Anthony
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
                Interesting. I never really noticed until I read Phlip's message,
                despite the fact that I use XEmacs all the time (including writing this
                email). But then, I'm particularly good at keeping my place when the
                text moves --- I can read whilst scrolling the buffer at a reasonable
                pace (e.g. when hunting through a long list of search results for
                something relevant).

                -- Alain:
                I'm a very spatially challenged person. I get lost rapidly when my
                environment keeps changing dynamically.