Re: [agile-usability] follow the leader

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
      Jon Kern wrote:

      > Lotus 1-2-3

      Now there's an example of slick usability that did everything _wrong_
      by todays standards.

      Everyone nowadays does Object->Action. First you select the object,
      then you pick an action. Example: Select some cells, then Copy them.

      In Lotus 1-2-3, you declare Copy, and get a Cell Selector Mode to pick
      the cells to copy.

      So the amazing thing was this got useful and intuitive, after you
      start using it.

      --
      Phlip
      http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
        Desilets, Alain wrote:

        > So there must be something else that bothers you about the way MS Excel
        > supports cell vs character navigation with arrow keys. What is it?

        It's because Microsoft invented it! Snarl! Drool! Drool!

        (Uh, the principle of least surprise might also apply...)

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
          Ignacio Facello wrote:

          > I haven't used Excel much, but I remember having the opposite problem
          > -- I am
          > editing a cell, and left-right moves the caret in the text. How do I go to the
          > previous cell?

          The CUA sez it should be <Shift+Tab>.

          > And also, I had the problem the OP described. It all depended on what I was
          > doing, which was frustrating.

          Arrow to a cell and start typing alpha without <F2>. You are still in
          "arrow among cells mode", not "text edit mode", and the system allows
          you to enter text essentially as a "convenience".

          > What bothers me is the different behaviour with no
          > significant visual cue that you are in a different mode.

          Not at all. The frame around the cell goes from a focus-style to an
          edit field frame style.

          Can't you tell? ;-)

          --
          Phlip
          http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
        • Anthony Williams
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
            Phlip <phlip2005@...> writes:

            > On UEdit, when you type off the end of a window, the caret would
            > scroll to the center of the window. This is the correct behavior, and
            > I never saw any editor since use it.

            XEmacs does this, and I presume emacs does too.

            Anthony
            --
            Anthony Williams
            Software Developer
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
              > On UEdit, when you type off the end of a window, the caret would
              > scroll to the center of the window. This is the correct behavior, and
              > I never saw any editor since use it.

              XEmacs does this, and I presume emacs does too.

              -- Alain:
              Yes it does, and I HATE it (eventhough I have been using Emacs for 12
              years). Whenever the screen jumps like that, I completely loose my sense
              of where I am within the buffer.
              ----
            • Anthony Williams
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
                "Desilets, Alain" <alain.desilets@...> writes:

                >> On UEdit, when you type off the end of a window, the caret would
                >> scroll to the center of the window. This is the correct behavior, and
                >> I never saw any editor since use it.
                >
                > XEmacs does this, and I presume emacs does too.
                >
                > -- Alain:
                > Yes it does, and I HATE it (eventhough I have been using Emacs for 12
                > years). Whenever the screen jumps like that, I completely loose my sense
                > of where I am within the buffer.
                > ----

                Interesting. I never really noticed until I read Phlip's message, despite the
                fact that I use XEmacs all the time (including writing this email). But then,
                I'm particularly good at keeping my place when the text moves --- I can read
                whilst scrolling the buffer at a reasonable pace (e.g. when hunting through
                a long list of search results for something relevant).

                I can see the benefit of not having the text jump around whilst you're
                working, but if it doesn't, then the cursor is almost always at the bottom of
                the window, which strikes me as less than ideal.

                Anthony
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
                  Interesting. I never really noticed until I read Phlip's message,
                  despite the fact that I use XEmacs all the time (including writing this
                  email). But then, I'm particularly good at keeping my place when the
                  text moves --- I can read whilst scrolling the buffer at a reasonable
                  pace (e.g. when hunting through a long list of search results for
                  something relevant).

                  -- Alain:
                  I'm a very spatially challenged person. I get lost rapidly when my
                  environment keeps changing dynamically.