RE: [agile-usability] follow the leader

  • Damhuis Anton
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
      Hi

      I am using Excel version 9 SP3, so is it not maybe a setting somewhere in Excel?

      Regards
      Anton

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
        The CUA permits you to feel like your editing functions are a part of
        your hands, not a part of the current application, or its specific mode.
        This permits you to safely learn advanced edits (such as
        <Ctrl+Left>) in one application and safely port your learning to
        another.

        -- Alain:
        Standards and rules are made to be broken. Again, I don't know whether
        or not MS did usability testing on this, but it certainly seem to be the
        most usable thing for me, irrespectively of the fact that it is
        non-standard behaviour.

        Surely you are not saying that knowlege encoded in generic UI standards
        should take precedence over application specific knowledge that was
        acuiqired through usability testing for that specific application!
        -----
      • Josh Seiden
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
          Press F2 for your free lunch!

          It moves the insertion point from the cell to the
          formula bar, and standard editing conventions will now
          apply.

          JS

          --- "Desilets, Alain" <alain.desilets@...>
          wrote:

          > I suspect this is a typical "no free lunch"
          > situation.
        • Ash Donaldson
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
            Re: [agile-usability] follow the leader On 5/11/05 12:44 AM, "Desilets, Alain" <alain.desilets@...> wrote:
            -- Alain:
            Standards and rules are made to be broken. Again, I don't know whether
            or not MS did usability testing on this, but it certainly seem to be the
            most usable thing for me, irrespectively of the fact that it is
            non-standard behaviour.

            Surely you are not saying that knowlege encoded in generic UI standards
            should take precedence over application specific knowledge that was
            acuiqired through usability testing for that specific application!
            -----

            Actually, standards aren’t meant to be broken, or they very quickly become non-standards.  It must be remembered that a standard is only as powerful as the percentage of the population that follows it.  Take for instance the ISO date format.  It’s the most logical (and therefore, apparently usable for new users) format, both for numeric ordering and consistency.  It’s of the form yyyy-mm-dd.  The majority of the world follows the reverse of this standard with dd-mm-yyyy, while the US somehow cam up with mm-dd-yyyy (?!?).  So how effective is the ISO standard?  It’s completely ineffective, even though it’s the most logical format, because the majority of the world does not follow it.

            Another point to consider is the type of usability testing involved.  As far as I’m aware, Microsoft caters for incomprehensibly large and diverse user populations, using different groups and factions to generate requirements and test functionality (in lab settings) and so tries to squeeze every possible feature in to account for every edge case.  The more popular functions, then, may go in the direction for any of the user populations identified.  Therefore, for a company that creates such highly generic software, standards (be they published or population stereotypes, as long as they carry a critical mass) should be sacrosanct and serve as the basis on which they could build more usable applications (because it’s more usable if it meets the user’s expectations i.e. Follows a standard convention that they are used to).

            Cheers,

            Ash Donaldson
            OZCHI 2005 Conference Chair
            chair@...

            OZCHI 2005
            Citizens Online: Considerations for today & the future
            www.ozchi.org

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
              IMO that's not a free lunch at all because it requires me to switch
              between modes.

              Alain

              wrote:

              > I suspect this is a typical "no free lunch"
              > situation.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Phlip
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                Ash Donaldson wrote:

                > Actually, standards aren't meant to be broken, or they very quickly become
                > non-standards. It must be remembered that a standard is only as powerful as
                > the percentage of the population that follows it. Take for instance the ISO
                > date format. It's the most logical (and therefore, apparently usable for
                > new users) format, both for numeric ordering and consistency. It's of the
                > form yyyy-mm-dd. The majority of the world follows the reverse of this
                > standard with dd-mm-yyyy, while the US somehow cam up with mm-dd-yyyy (?!?).
                > So how effective is the ISO standard? It's completely ineffective, even
                > though it's the most logical format, because the majority of the world does
                > not follow it.

                Just last night I wrote yyyy-Mmm-dd format on a check.

                It would have been nicer if I had followed that other standard, and
                wrote it in the date field instead of the amount field...

                In the case of Excel, CUA already has the majority following. So
                breaking the CUA, in one little mode, is very disruptive.

                The topic I had hoped to raise is simple: If a market leader enforces
                a bad usability decision, and the majority of the world follows it,
                the market upstarts have the odious choice of either following the bad
                lead, or breaking with tradition and risk looking bad.

                How was this week's ZeekLand, everyone? ;-)

                --
                Phlip
                http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                  I do a talk called "Violate Standards!" in which I
                  encourage designers to see these kind of de facto
                  "design standards" as opportunities for innovation.
                  The argument is this: where there is a standard answer
                  design answer, there is also likely an opportunity to
                  create a better solution.

                  The canonical example of this kind of critical
                  thinking is the error dialog. Designers should see
                  error dialogs--the standard way to present errors--as
                  an opportunity to design error-prevention systems into
                  the app, thus obviating the need for the standard
                  solution, and improving the user experience.

                  Of course, this works only as a thinking exercise, not
                  as a fundamental design strategy.

                  If anyone is interested in the slides, let me know.

                  JS
                  --- Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:

                  > The topic I had hoped to raise is simple: If a
                  > market leader enforces
                  > a bad usability decision, and the majority of the
                  > world follows it,
                  > the market upstarts have the odious choice of either
                  > following the bad
                  > lead, or breaking with tradition and risk looking
                  > bad.
                • Phlip
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                    Josh Seiden wrote:

                    > Of course, this works only as a thinking exercise, not
                    > as a fundamental design strategy.

                    The best editor I ever used was non-CUA. Rick Stiles's UEdit, for
                    AmigaDOS, had a usability envelop architected from scratch, with no
                    underlying GUI to introduce any systems. Rick simply took over an
                    Amiga screen and blitted text all over it.

                    The usability achieved the minimum keystrokes between any two points I
                    have ever seen. For example, UEdit's scripting language defined
                    BeginningOfWord as before the first character, and EndOfWord as after
                    the last. So the <Left> arrow mapped trivially onto BeginningOfWord,
                    and <Right> onto EndOfWord.

                    Yes, that's right. <Left> did not move the caret left over one
                    character. It would jump a whole word, and put the character right at
                    its beginning. Right would jump to the end of a word, and put the
                    character between it and any punctuation.

                    When you edit, this is where you most likely want to go. If you then
                    fine-tune your position, you use <Shift+Left> to move over one
                    character.

                    Incidentally, UEdit's scripting language built jargon like
                    "<Shift+Left>" directly into its keywords.

                    So on CUA, I would <Ctrl+Left> more often than <Left> even if I
                    weren't a sloppy typist. The wrong action is the default, and the
                    barrier to fixing this is much higher _because_ CUA is a "standard".

                    There are easier places to start. For example, on any CUA editor if
                    you type off the end of a window, the editor will scroll up one line,
                    and leave your caret scrambling against the bottom edge of the window.
                    You must scroll to put the caret at eye level, and to see any text
                    below the caret.

                    On UEdit, when you type off the end of a window, the caret would
                    scroll to the center of the window. This is the correct behavior, and
                    I never saw any editor since use it.

                    It should be really easy to add.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                      -- Phlip wrote:
                      The best editor I ever used was non-CUA. Rick Stiles's UEdit, for
                      AmigaDOS, had a usability envelop architected from scratch, with no
                      underlying GUI to introduce any systems. Rick simply took over an Amiga
                      screen and blitted text all over it.

                      <SNIP>

[...]

                      ----

                      -- Alain:
                      It's interesting that you would write this. What you are describing
                      above is in all respects equivalent to MS Excel defining <Left> as
                      meaning "move to the previous cell". In a spreadsheet context, moving
                      from one cell to an adjacent cell is more frequent than moving from one
                      character to an adjacent one. Yet, while you loved the fact that Uedit
                      assigned word navigation to the <Left> key, you hate the fact that Excel
                      assigns cell navigation to the <Left> key. OK, Excel does not even have
                      a separate key sequences (ex: <Ctr>+<Left>) for moving to the previous
                      character, but I gather that your annoyance was caused by the fact that
                      Excel overrode the standard meaning of <Left>.

                      So there must be something else that bothers you about the way MS Excel
                      supports cell vs character navigation with arrow keys. What is it?
                      ----
                    • Ignacio Facello
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                        I haven't used Excel much, but I remember having the opposite problem -- I am
                        editing a cell, and left-right moves the caret in the text. How do I go to the
                        previous cell?
                        And also, I had the problem the OP described. It all depended on what I was
                        doing, which was frustrating. I think Excel should behave the same no matter
                        what you were doing -- whether left moves the caret or changes cell, I wouldn't
                        care, I would get used to it. What bothers me is the different behaviour with no
                        significant visual cue that you are in a different mode.

                        Quoting "Desilets, Alain" <alain.desilets@...>:

                        > -- Alain:
                        > It's interesting that you would write this. What you are describing
                        > above is in all respects equivalent to MS Excel defining <Left> as
                        > meaning "move to the previous cell". In a spreadsheet context, moving
                        > from one cell to an adjacent cell is more frequent than moving from one
                        > character to an adjacent one. Yet, while you loved the fact that Uedit
                        > assigned word navigation to the <Left> key, you hate the fact that Excel
                        > assigns cell navigation to the <Left> key. OK, Excel does not even have
                        > a separate key sequences (ex: <Ctr>+<Left>) for moving to the previous
                        > character, but I gather that your annoyance was caused by the fact that
                        > Excel overrode the standard meaning of <Left>.
                        >
                        > So there must be something else that bothers you about the way MS Excel
                        > supports cell vs character navigation with arrow keys. What is it?
                        > ----

                        Internet Banda Ancha Todo el Dia desde $u 490 por mes!
                        http://www.internet.com.uy - En Uruguay somos internet
                      • Jon Kern
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                          an upstart *should* offer improvements... including in usability.

                          however, one can also offer up the option:
                                  [ ] "Behave like the Market leader"

                          QuattroPro was a wonderful departure from Lotus 1-2-3
                          Excel did a wonderful copy of QP (i think)

                          -- jon

                          Phlip said the following on 11/4/2005 11:26 AM:

                          <cut>

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                            Jon Kern wrote:

                            > Lotus 1-2-3

                            Now there's an example of slick usability that did everything _wrong_
                            by todays standards.

                            Everyone nowadays does Object->Action. First you select the object,
                            then you pick an action. Example: Select some cells, then Copy them.

                            In Lotus 1-2-3, you declare Copy, and get a Cell Selector Mode to pick
                            the cells to copy.

                            So the amazing thing was this got useful and intuitive, after you
                            start using it.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                              Desilets, Alain wrote:

                              > So there must be something else that bothers you about the way MS Excel
                              > supports cell vs character navigation with arrow keys. What is it?

                              It's because Microsoft invented it! Snarl! Drool! Drool!

                              (Uh, the principle of least surprise might also apply...)

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 4, 2005
                                Ignacio Facello wrote:

                                > I haven't used Excel much, but I remember having the opposite problem
                                > -- I am
                                > editing a cell, and left-right moves the caret in the text. How do I go to the
                                > previous cell?

                                The CUA sez it should be <Shift+Tab>.

                                > And also, I had the problem the OP described. It all depended on what I was
                                > doing, which was frustrating.

                                Arrow to a cell and start typing alpha without <F2>. You are still in
                                "arrow among cells mode", not "text edit mode", and the system allows
                                you to enter text essentially as a "convenience".

                                > What bothers me is the different behaviour with no
                                > significant visual cue that you are in a different mode.

                                Not at all. The frame around the cell goes from a focus-style to an
                                edit field frame style.

                                Can't you tell? ;-)

                                --
                                Phlip
                                http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
                              • Anthony Williams
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
                                  Phlip <phlip2005@...> writes:

                                  > On UEdit, when you type off the end of a window, the caret would
                                  > scroll to the center of the window. This is the correct behavior, and
                                  > I never saw any editor since use it.

                                  XEmacs does this, and I presume emacs does too.

                                  Anthony
                                  --
                                  Anthony Williams
                                  Software Developer
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
                                    > On UEdit, when you type off the end of a window, the caret would
                                    > scroll to the center of the window. This is the correct behavior, and
                                    > I never saw any editor since use it.

                                    XEmacs does this, and I presume emacs does too.

                                    -- Alain:
                                    Yes it does, and I HATE it (eventhough I have been using Emacs for 12
                                    years). Whenever the screen jumps like that, I completely loose my sense
                                    of where I am within the buffer.
                                    ----
                                  • Anthony Williams
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
                                      "Desilets, Alain" <alain.desilets@...> writes:

                                      >> On UEdit, when you type off the end of a window, the caret would
                                      >> scroll to the center of the window. This is the correct behavior, and
                                      >> I never saw any editor since use it.
                                      >
                                      > XEmacs does this, and I presume emacs does too.
                                      >
                                      > -- Alain:
                                      > Yes it does, and I HATE it (eventhough I have been using Emacs for 12
                                      > years). Whenever the screen jumps like that, I completely loose my sense
                                      > of where I am within the buffer.
                                      > ----

                                      Interesting. I never really noticed until I read Phlip's message, despite the
                                      fact that I use XEmacs all the time (including writing this email). But then,
                                      I'm particularly good at keeping my place when the text moves --- I can read
                                      whilst scrolling the buffer at a reasonable pace (e.g. when hunting through
                                      a long list of search results for something relevant).

                                      I can see the benefit of not having the text jump around whilst you're
                                      working, but if it doesn't, then the cursor is almost always at the bottom of
                                      the window, which strikes me as less than ideal.

                                      Anthony
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 16, 2005
                                        Interesting. I never really noticed until I read Phlip's message,
                                        despite the fact that I use XEmacs all the time (including writing this
                                        email). But then, I'm particularly good at keeping my place when the
                                        text moves --- I can read whilst scrolling the buffer at a reasonable
                                        pace (e.g. when hunting through a long list of search results for
                                        something relevant).

                                        -- Alain:
                                        I'm a very spatially challenged person. I get lost rapidly when my
                                        environment keeps changing dynamically.