Re: [agile-usability] Norman's Activity Centered Design - does it change anything?

  • Ash Donaldson
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 26, 2005
      Re: [agile-usability] Norman's Activity Centered Design - does it change anything?
      -- Alain wrote:
      Even when the project can afford an elite team of senior interaction
      designers to lead the development, I think it pays off tremendously to
      have developers (in fact everyone on the team) have some basic skill in
      interaction design.
      ----
      I’m in two minds about this, but I guess it depends on the situation.  If there’s someone to mentor / train them, then it’s usually a good idea.  It is only wise for all members of the team to have an understanding/appreciation of the role of the interaction designer, but left to their own devices, a little knowledge can also be a dangerous thing.

      One pattern I’ve observed in this industry is that people can start off curious about usability, then if left to their own devices, usually go through an extended stage of ‘usability zealot’, where everyone HAS to ‘follow the rules’ (usually something like Neilsen’s heuristics are quoted verbatim).  I bet that plenty of you come across someone like THAT before... ;)

      Cheers,

      Ash Donaldson
      OZCHI 2005 Conference Chair
      chair@...

      OZCHI 2005
      Citizens Online: Considerations for today & the future
      www.ozchi.org

    • Ash Donaldson
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 30, 2005
        Re: [agile-usability] was norman, now teensy fonts On 30/10/05 2:26 AM, "Jon Kern" <jonkern@...> wrote:
        Entourage?
        Now that's a bizarre product name... Does it organize your posse and groupies, let everyone know your schedule  so they can follow you around?

        Entourage is Microsoft’s excuse for not porting their Outlook behemoth (who would want that job) to the Mac.  It looks and feels like something alien to the Mac and does inexplicable things.  If it was meant to organise your posse and groupies, it would probably forget to tell them where you are and make you feel like it was your fault by saying there was some configuration error with your Exchange server.