RE: [agile-usability] Norman's Activity Centered Design - does it change anything?

  • Josh Seiden
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 26, 2005
      For what it's worth, I never called for "elite teams,"
      "third party wizards," or an exclusive guild of
      interaction designers working in secret dungeons,
      carefully protecting their trade secrets from usurping
      developers. (Though perhaps if we had some big
      bubbling test tubes... ;-) I agree with your
      characterization of the problems implied by these
      phrases and approaches.

      I was trying to say that young designers need proper
      supervision (and mentoring, I should have added). This
      supervision can be as low-touch as weekly touch-base
      sessions with a more experienced person.

      Originally, we were talking about the limits of
      method, and my point was that even good methods
      require good application. Larry, I'm not casting doubt
      on the methods you've developed. But I would not be
      surpised if your presence as an observer often cast
      you in a mentoring or supervisory role as well. I
      little direction can go a long way, especially when it
      comes from a master wizard ;-)

      JS

      > -- Alain wrote:
      > Even when the project can afford an elite team of
      > senior interaction
      > designers to lead the development, I think it pays
      > off tremendously to
      > have developers (in fact everyone on the team) have
      > some basic skill in
      > interaction design.
      > ----
    • Ash Donaldson
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 30, 2005
        Re: [agile-usability] was norman, now teensy fonts On 30/10/05 2:26 AM, "Jon Kern" <jonkern@...> wrote:
        Entourage?
        Now that's a bizarre product name... Does it organize your posse and groupies, let everyone know your schedule  so they can follow you around?

        Entourage is Microsoft’s excuse for not porting their Outlook behemoth (who would want that job) to the Mac.  It looks and feels like something alien to the Mac and does inexplicable things.  If it was meant to organise your posse and groupies, it would probably forget to tell them where you are and make you feel like it was your fault by saying there was some configuration error with your Exchange server.

        Cheers,

        Ash Donaldson
        OZCHI 2005 Conference Chair
        chair@...

        OZCHI 2005
        Citizens Online: Considerations for today & the future
        www.ozchi.org