Do It Yourself

  • tester384
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2005
      http://www.stickyminds.com/BetterSoftware/magazine.asp?fn=cifea

      When our company acquired a competitor's company, we were given less
      than a week to decide what to do with its largest project. Two
      colleagues and I had spent all day with the new team, and, after a late
      dinner with the team leads and managers, the three of us went back to
      our hotel. We found a quiet corner in the lobby and compared notes on
      what we'd learned through the long day. We'd learned that for the past
      year the project had consistently remained twelve months from shipping
      based on estimates at the time. We'd learned that the project had an
      incredible rate of unnecessary requirements change and that the product
      vision had changed repeatedly. The company also had selected a new
      architecture well beyond anything they had done before, and they'd
      chosen a new language along with it. We learned that the project had
      some very good people but that many team leads had been selected more
      for their closeness to the VP than for their skills.