Announcing the Interaction Design Association

  • Lada Gorlenko
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2005
      Announcing the Interaction Design Association

      For Immediate Release

      CONTACTS: IxDA Public Relations: info@...

      October 16, 2005 ::: The Interaction Design Group (IxDG)--which has served
      the needs of the international community of practitioners, teachers, and
      students of interaction design since 2003--has incorporated as a non-profit,
      member- supported organization and has officially changed its name to the
      Interaction Design Association (IxDA). IxDA is committed to fully addressing
      the diverse needs of interaction design (IxD) professionals and the greater
      IxD community. IxDA has formed its Board of Directors and elected its
      officers. The Executive Committee, who will govern IxDA for the following
      year, comprises Robert Reimann, President; David Heller, Vice President;
      Greg Petroff, Treasurer; and Lada Gorlenko, Secretary.

      Robert Reimann, President of IxDA and co-author of "About Face 2.0: The
      Essentials of Interaction Design," said that the leadership of IxDA "plan to
      develop a first-class community of practice for our members, provide
      excellent business and technical resources for interaction design
      practitioners, and promote a greater understanding of interaction design and
      its value to industry, academia, and the public at large."

      David Heller, co-founder of IxDG and Vice President of IxDA, said, "With the
      current explosion of digital products and services, it is clear that the
      design of behavior is an increasingly important discipline within the
      greater design community. I'm looking forward to building our organization
      in a manner that will bring greater credibility and formal recognition to
      interaction design and interaction designers."

      "The art and science of interaction design have made enormous strides," said
      Bruce "Tog" Tognazzini, interaction design guru and member of the IxDA
      Advisory Board. "It's time that the perceptions of our employers and
      potential employers catch up. With IxDA, we interaction design practitioners
      finally have a powerful voice."

      About Interaction Design

      Interaction design (IxD) is the professional discipline that defines the
      behavior of interactive products and how products communicate their
      functionality to the people who use them. Good interaction design makes
      products ranging from computer software to microwave ovens to cars more
      useful, usable, and desirable.

      About the Interaction Design Association

      The Interaction Design Association (IxDA) is a non-profit professional
      organization whose focus is promoting both the field of interaction design
      and the interests of an international community of practitioners, managers,
      educators, and students of interaction design. IxDA's goals are to

      * communicate the unique perspective that interaction design brings to both
      industry and the broader design community

      * promote awareness of the discipline, craft, and value of interaction
      design among business leaders, academia, consumers, and our colleagues

      * advance the discipline of interaction design by encouraging the adoption
      of innovative methods

      * encourage and recommend high standards of practice among interaction
      design professionals

      * help establish standards for academic programs in interaction design

      * develop an active, close-knit community of interaction design
      professionals worldwide

      IxDA hosts IxD Discussion, a mailing list that provides an international
      forum for the discussion of interaction design and currently has about
      1800 subscribers worldwide. There are 800 subscribers to the IxDA
      Announcements mailing list. Subscribers include practitioners, educators,
      and authors in the field of interaction design, as well as students and
      others who are interested in the discipline of interaction design.

      For more information visit the Interaction Design Association at
      http://www.ixda.org