Re: [agile-usability] Re: What role might usability people play in requirements elicitation?

  • Dale Emery
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 27, 2004
      Hi Alistair,

      > I find "why?" an unpleasant question to answer when I'm asked
      > it, especially when asked it multiple times in an insistent
      > fashion. So I prefer to ask it in longer, synonym form, of
      > which there are many. Here are a couple
      >
      > "what problem would that be addressing? "...in order to
      > accomplish what?

      I often use a form that I call The Value Question: "If you had
      that, what would that do for you?"

      Sometimes I use a longer form: "If you had that, what would that
      do for you that's even more important?"

      I sometimes use The Value Question to understand the problem
      behind the problem, as here:
      http://www.dhemery.com/cwd/2003/06/the_value_question.html

      I also use The Value Question in lots of other ways to understand
      people's value hierarchies (including my own):
      http://www.dhemery.com/cwd/2004/02/values.html

      Dale

      --
      Dale Emery, Consultant
      Collaborative Leadership for Software People

      Lighthouses don't go running all over an island looking for boats
      to save; they just stand there, shining. --Anne Lamott
    • Dale Emery
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 27, 2004