Designing for incremental delivery vs. big-bang delivery

    Message 1 of 102 , Jul 27, 2004
      Question for usability people:

      Many interactiond design approaches that I'm familiar with [which is
      not all that many] seem to explain how to analyze a problem and
      design _A_ solution. There's a mismatch to agile processes there -
      when we try to deliver working software incrementally - basically
      deliver some subset of what we believe is necessary. Does anyone in
      the usability field have any approaches for breaking down a design
      into something that can be released incrementally? So that we could
      know what's roughly possible, the whole design - call it X - then
      delivery X/4, or X/5?

      The challenge here is that the x/5 release - roughly 20% of known
      possible functionality still needs to be both usable and usefull.
      The the next 2x/5 release we layer on top of that also needs to be
      usefull. I suspect this might mean desiging 5 similar products
      rather than 1 - but I'm not sure.

      I'm looking for folks with stories, techniques, examples of success
      or failure along those lines. Anyone out there with a story to
      tell?

      thanks,

      -Jeff
    • Phlip
      Message 102 of 102 , Aug 7, 2004
        Anthony Williams wrote:

        > I'm sure there's a variant on PNG that can animate
        > ..... checks ImageMagick
        > docs ..... MNG.
        >
        > IIRC, Mozilla has optional MNG support.

        Thanks; I made a note of it. But InternetExploiter and
        Windows XP don't support MNG, so I can't use MNG
        without introducing new systems.

        =====
        Phlip

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail