Re: question for a usability guru - original question

  • aacockburn
    Message 1 of 62 , Aug 31 8:32 PM
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Jon Kern <jonkern@c...> wrote:
      <<hmmm. i think i have some things i could sell you, alistair <g>>>

      Probably not.

      I kicked around the idea of a Palm for 3 years before I gave in
      decided the only way I'd know would be to buy one. It proved
      instantly useless. I use a week-at-a-glance DayMinder paper
      appointment book and my laptop's address book instead.

      I kicked around the idea of a Blackberry for two years and waited
      till I had a killer app in mind before I bought the Blackberry.
      ((I am thinking of retrying the Blackberry, because radio packets to
      wikis is still a killer app ... but I don't know how to test the
      radio coverage before buying the 1-year subscription))

      I finally got DSL at home, having kicked it and cable and satellite
      alternatives around for 8 years.

      I buy a new laptop every 3 or 4 years and expect it to last that
      long. My current one is now over 4 years old and still has legs. The
      keycaps are literally worn off (you HAVE to touch type to use my
      computer!) and a couple of keys have little worn-down indents where
      my fingers have worn into the plastic.

      I've been lucky in buying laptops, almost all panorama screens, 4
      pounds or less, typically 15-17 mm key spacing so I can still touch
      type, running full current professional OS with excellent (for the
      time) disk space. No cut down copies need apply. I've been doing this
      since Gateway's first laptop in 1994.

      It takes me about 6 months to select a new computer.

      In other words, you'll only sell me something if
      (a) you can hold your breath a really long time and
      (b) you're lucky.

      This new purchase is off the edge, though, because I can't figure out
      what I can and what I can't do with that screen real estate or pen; I
      assume I can get a remote foldable keyboard so I'll be able to touch-
      type on it sooner or later. In this one case, I'm prepared to buy a
      replacement laptop as a backup plan (can afford this because prices
      have come down so much recently; my first several laptops cost over
      $5,000 each). On the off-chance this thing works, though, I'll have a
      dynamite setup using a pocket computer...

      cheers, Alistair
    • aacockburn