RE: [agile-usability] Re: Invention and user needs (used to be: question for a usability guru)

  • Jamie Nettles
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31, 2005

      <snip>

      > We also know that most basic research does not lead to
      > applications. This kind of research preceeds what startups
      > are doing by years (and even for startups the failure rate is
      > very high). I do not see a way how we can improve the success
      > rate of that kind of research. But I know that something
      > needs to fill the innovation pipeline for our children to
      > have a good life.

      Except in a few exceptional fields (e.g., nuclear physics, space
      exploration) basic research tends to be dirt cheap. I know that if I
      quit my current job and got a job as a professor I would have to take a
      significant pay cut. And that would be after years of providing almost
      free labor as a grad student and perhaps post-doc. I don't have hard
      numbers at my fingertips but I seem to remember that the total
      government outlay on basic research is lost in the noise. So my opinion
      is that it works pretty well to let those involved in basic research
      pursue whatever interests them. We could increase the basic research
      budget by a factor of ten and not notice it in our individual bank
      accounts. Whatever the actual ratio between basic research at the front
      end and innovative products at the back end, it seems that increasing
      the front end of the innovation pipeline should eventually increase the
      back end.