Re: [agile-usability] Self Centered Design as a strategy - was: Re: Flickr

    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 29, 2005
      On 29 Aug 2005, at 15:22, Desilets, Alain wrote:
      [snip]
      > My point in this long post is: don't underate self-centered design.
      > It's a viable strategy. If there's enough of people like you to
      > build a market - design for yourself. Flickr did with a pretty high
      > level of success.
      [snip]

      Indeed. One thing I've learned over the years is that it's often
      better to design for an actual person is better than designing for a
      completely fictional one.

      <anecdote>

      I was brought in quite late to do some usability work on a web site
      that was aimed at estate agents. It included lots of things that the
      developers hated ("yuppie" marketing like prose, glaring colours,
      flash transitions, etc.) that had been added because "That's what
      estate agents like".

      Of course the estate agents hated it. In fact they hated it even more
      than the developers did since most of them lived at the other end of
      slow internet connections at that point.

      </anecdote>

      The developers were working with an anti-persona - a fictional user
      that didn't represent the end user.

      Being able to test with actual estate agents was what they should
      have done at the start of course. But if you really can't - don't
      throw away any actual user experience that you can find.