RE: [agile-usability] Re: Can user interface design be agile?

  • Keith Lancaster
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 16 7:24 AM
      XP in particular seems to divide everything into
      developer or customer (or customer team), including
      writing tests, and there is in some quarters a stated
      bias against professional testers. My point is that
      just as is the case with UI / interaction design,
      some of the agile processes (esp XP) relegate tasks to
      the "customer" that require specialized skills that a
      typical "customer" does not have and has no interest
      in developing. IMO, it would be far better for agile
      process folks to directly promote the use of
      interaction / UI / testing professionals as being a
      necessary part of the "customer" team, rather than
      treating them as people who *might* be available to
      assist the customer in these tasks. This in no way
      would make the process less agile, but could
      significanly improve both the usability and overall
      quality of the resultant product.

      http://www.agiledevelopmentconference.com/schedule/researchp.html#Anchor-Th-59989

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 17 9:03 AM
        On 17 Aug 2005, at 16:51, Desilets, Alain wrote:

        > How about testing with 10 developper? Is that any good?
        [snip]

        Beetter than nothing at all, but nowhere near as effective as getting
        somebody in who isn't involved with creating the software. The
        knowledge about how things "should" work gets in the way of finding
        problems.

        I know I've been involved with building what I think it a most
        wonderful piece of software then say there gritting my teeth as the
        damn test participant sits there /wilfully/ ignoring the save button
        that's /right there/ in /plain sight/!

        :-)