RE: [SPAM-FILT] - [agile-usability] Re:Negative perception of agile teams - Email found in subject

  • Kenig, Neil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2005
      If it gives you any hope, we had the opposite experience.  Once we switched to agile, we were seen has having an "increased sense of urgency."  I think the two biggest contributors to this were the daily standup meeting and the customer walkthroughs at the end of each iteration.  (Interestingly, we'd been holding daily standup meetings long before we went to XP but we had them in a conference room.  After XP, we have them where we work.)

      Neil Kenig
      PRICE Systems, L.L.C.

      From: "grahamastles" <gastles@...>
      Subject: Negative perception of agile teams (was: seeking agitator)

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "dingbat99999"
      <bruce.rennie@o...> wrote:
      > There are apocryphal stories I've heard about shops where teams
      > practicing XP were viewed in a negative way because they didn't
      > exhibit the same "sense of urgency" as the other teams in the
      > organization.

      I don't think the stories are all apocryphal.  One of my clients, and
      old-style manager from a marketing background does that.  He has one
      team on an old technology and a broken product who do death marches on
      a regular basis, and a new team using java/struts/eclipse with XP.

      He does not credit Agile with the success, just the technology.  And
      he complains that there is not the same sense of urgency and
      commitment in the XP team.  Totally subjective.  So whenever he feels
      under financial pressure, he complains about his XP team's relaxed
      working atmosphere.  He does not realize how it is not relaxed, but
      quite intense and focused on quality and delivery.  They are just not
      as frazzled as the others...

      Agile software developmentUsability testing