Re:Negative perception of agile teams

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2005
      These stories are not apocryphal --- I know people at the manager level who got into trouble for this exact thing.

      Alistair

      From: "grahamastles" <gastles@...>
      Subject: Negative perception of agile teams (was: seeking agitator)

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "dingbat99999"
      <bruce.rennie@o...> wrote:
      > There are apocryphal stories I've heard about shops where teams
      > practicing XP were viewed in a negative way because they didn't
      > exhibit the same "sense of urgency" as the other teams in the
      > organization.

      I don't think the stories are all apocryphal.  One of my clients, and
      old-style manager from a marketing background does that.  He has one
      team on an old technology and a broken product who do death marches on
      a regular basis, and a new team using java/struts/eclipse with XP.

      He does not credit Agile with the success, just the technology.  And
      he complains that there is not the same sense of urgency and
      commitment in the XP team.  Totally subjective.  So whenever he feels
      under financial pressure, he complains about his XP team's relaxed
      working atmosphere.  He does not realize how it is not relaxed, but
      quite intense and focused on quality and delivery.  They are just not
      as frazzled as the others...