Re: [agile-usability] Negative perception of agile teams (was: seeking agitator)

  • Ron Jeffries
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 5, 2005
      On Tuesday, July 5, 2005, at 11:01:26 AM, grahamastles wrote:

      > --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "dingbat99999"
      > <bruce.rennie@o...> wrote:
      >> There are apocryphal stories I've heard about shops where teams
      >> practicing XP were viewed in a negative way because they didn't
      >> exhibit the same "sense of urgency" as the other teams in the
      >> organization.

      > I don't think the stories are all apocryphal. One of my clients, and
      > old-style manager from a marketing background does that. He has one
      > team on an old technology and a broken product who do death marches on
      > a regular basis, and a new team using java/struts/eclipse with XP.

      > He does not credit Agile with the success, just the technology. And
      > he complains that there is not the same sense of urgency and
      > commitment in the XP team. Totally subjective. So whenever he feels
      > under financial pressure, he complains about his XP team's relaxed
      > working atmosphere. He does not realize how it is not relaxed, but
      > quite intense and focused on quality and delivery. They are just not
      > as frazzled as the others...

      That's so interesting. Software development is a distance run. When
      you watch a really great runner -- or bike rider -- they are mostly
      just loping along, no energy wasted.

      Tense, tired programmers don't do better work -- they do worse. But
      maybe they're more fun to watch or something, especially when they
      keel over and die.

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      He who will not apply new remedies must expect old evils. -- Francis Bacon