Re: Choice modeling and Agile?

  • grahamastles
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2005
      While the emphasis on finding a dollar ROI for each feature may be an
      idea to make the customer more aware of the resources she is spending,
      I think that there is a risk to fall into the same legalistic trap
      that traditional project management does when it treats estimates as
      commitments and a schedule as a prediction.

      It seems to me that the core purpose behind any prioritization is to
      work on the most important things first. For this need, a ranking
      gives you 90% of the value with 10% of the work.

      Thus, I think that the discussion on "feature ROI" should be part of a
      pep-talk in the initial project definition phase, with occasional
      reminders during the planning game, but the tough work required to get
      an actual ROI for each feature sounds non-agile in the sense that it
      is "up-front work" that does not produce working code that the user
      can actually approve. Since priority ranking is a cheaper alternative
      that can get you to actual coding quicker, I would recommend keeping
      feature-ROI as a conceptual construct and not a mathematical process.

      In any case, if we go down this path, Agile would require having a
      feedback process where you actually do testing to determine if your
      calculations corresponded to reality, so that you could improve the
      process on the next round. That sounds like a very long feedback loop
      to me, and I wonder if the ROI is positive at all, and I certainly
      think that most of our teams would find a higher ROI from implementing
      or improving other aspects of our craft.