Some Agile and HCI articles

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 16, 2005
      There are a bunch of articles on/around Agile/HCI in this month's
      Carleton Uni Hot Topics.

      * Agile Development and User Interaction: The Story So Far
      * Are Agile and Usability Methodologies Compatible?
      * Design-Driven Test-Driven Design
      * What can Agile offer HCI?

      See <http://www.carleton.ca/hotlab/hottopics/> for full text. I found
      the last one an interesting read, since it's an HCI persons first
      encounter with agile methods. I especially enjoyed

      "I had adopted the "user is king" mentality, and anything I learned
      about cost-benefit analysis and justifying designs to business
      customers was pitted towards the goal of ultimate usability. In
      comparison, agile developers seem to take a more egalitarian view,
      attempting to maintain awareness of, and communication with, the
      stack of people involved in a project. This encourages the creation
      of solutions that creatively balance the needs of all constituencies
      to reach the ultimate goal of quality software delivered on time."

      which meshes with some of my agile/usability experiences.

    • Robert Biddle
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 20, 2005
        Thanks for the publicity for our newsletter articles!
        Two things by way of followup:

        1) The editor of our newsletter has asked me to organise a second
        issue on the same topic (agile usability). If anyone has a short
        article they'd like to contribute,
        I'd be happy to consider it. Our newsletter is based at our lab, but
        it has a wide
        readership of about 600 subscribers, aside from those who find it on
        the web.

        2) We are now planning some research studies on agile usability, and
        would love to
        work with industry teams, both those who are exploring how to
        connect agile
        and usability, and also groups who use one but are interested in the
        other.
        If you are interested in working with us, please email me.

        We'll be at the UPA workshop in Montreal next week, so you could also
        speak to me then.
        Cheers
        Robert

        Robert Biddle