Re: [agile-usability] The need for an "Agile Evangelist"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2005
      Hi, Andrew! Interesting questions. Here's my take on them.

      On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 15:32 +0000, Andrew Lawrence wrote:
      > 1) It appears to me that an Agile Evangelist is REQUIRED to start an
      > agile process -- agree? Or is the reading of books and common sense
      > enough?

      I think it's possible to start it without one; I've seen successful
      agile adoptions that way. However, I always recommend one; it's an
      easier path, and the adoption is much, much faster.

      > 2) If they are required, for how long? What is the "signal" that all
      > is OK to move on?

      I think the most important thing is that the team experiences what a
      well-run agile project feels like. In that, it's a lot like learning to
      ride a bike: you have to know what keeping your balance feels like, and
      the continuous small corrections required to stay balanced must become
      automatic.

      When I do an adoption, my general deal with the team is that they try
      everything my way for 6-8 weeks, so that they get enough experience with
      the techniques to judge them for themselves. Then they can do as they
      please, although I'll drop back with declining frequency over the next
      6-12 months to coach them.

      Ideally during this period you bring in enough people with agile
      experience that the team is roughly 1:1 novices vs agile-skilled.
      After that initial jump start, the external people roll slowly off while
      you bring on other internal people. This keeps the project running
      smoothly at the beginning. Later it provides continuous moderate
      challenge for the permanent team to pick up the slack.

      > 3) After the loss of a leader, there is a period of transition. What
      > can a group do to ensure that this transition is successful?

      My goal as a coach is to make everybody a leader. That sounds a little
      corny, but I think it's entirely possible.

      The team should continuously strive to reduce hierarchy and keep from
      pigeonholing people. Pair programming helps a lot with that. I'm also
      fond of rotating responsibilities. For example, if I think the team is
      getting too dependent on me to lead the meetings, I'll start assigning
      random people to do it in my stead.

      Generally, any single member of the team should be able to go on
      vacation and things should roll on pretty much like before.

      I hope that helps!

      William Pietri <william@...>