Book Reviewer Request for a New Book on Customer Driven Innovation

  • lukehohmann
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2005
      Dear friends and colleagues,
      I'm writing to request your assistance in reviewing the draft version
      of a new book I'm writing on customer driven innovation. The working
      title and first two paragraphs are next. If this sounds like something
      that is of interest to you, please send me an email and I'll send you
      a review copy of the book.

      "Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services Through
      Customer Understanding."
      The foundation of innovation is a deep understanding of your customer.
      Their desires, problems, and challenges all represent opportunities to
      create innovative products and services. Unfortunately, developing the
      understanding that drives innovation can be pretty hard. Customers are
      people. They don't always know what they want. Simply asking them
      "What do you want?" or "Tell me what you think our product should do"
      isn't very effective at discovering what they really want. (I've also
      tried asking them "What don't you want?". This isn't much better).

      The challenge is not in the motivation to develop this understanding.
      It is the tools. Simplistic questions like those found above just
      don't work very well. What does work are the 12 games described in
      this book. You'll find that if you use them, you'll come to understand
      what your customers really want. You'll have fun doing it. More
      importantly they'll have fun doing it. And armed with this
      understanding, you'll be able to create the breakthrough, innovative
      products that are the foundation of lasting success.

      Regards,

      Luke Hohmann
      President and Founder
      Enthiosys LLC
      cell: (408) 529-0319
      www.enthiosys.com
      Author of Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining
      Winning Solutions
    • June Kim
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2005
        Hello

        I am afraid if I'm too late to answering your request. I have two of
        your previously published books(BSA, JSP) and liked both. I am very
        much interested in reviewing the book.

        I have an experience working for one of the largest web portals in the
        world. We designed a new web service using an agile methodology(a
        combination of a few). I knew the agile methodologies(especially XP)
        were relatively weak on customer side -- not much guidance for the
        customer. Usage-centered design, paper prototyping(with other cheap
        prototypes), iterative/incremental development with frequent feedback,
        closed-beta/focus groups/interviews, outcome-based thinking(Turn
        Customer Input Into Innovation
        http://harvardbusinessonline.hbsp.harvard.edu/b02/en/common/item_detail.jhtml?id=858X&_requestid=172
        ), and Innovator's Dilemma/Solution were particularly helpful.

        I believe your book might fill the leaks.

        June Kim