Re: [agile-usability] Re: elite methods

  • Jon Kern
    Message 1 of 23 , May 6, 2005
      i always say...
          "if you have convinced yourself that you can't get it done locally, what in the heck are you thinking that 12 time zones away is going to be easier?"
      go figure...
      -- jon

      aacockburn said the following on 5/5/2005 11:38 AM:
      I read "The world is flat" (I give it a C-, worth a quick scan), and
      thought, along these lines, that what we are saying is, "We don't know
      how to manage a project over here. Perhaps if we go sufficiently far
      away, the people over there know how to do it (answer: they don't). And
      if they don't, then at least the mess is over there compared to over
      here, and the mess is cheaper."

      Of course, I'm interested in learning how to manage a project /over
      here/ (for any 'here')

      AListair

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Jon Kern <jonkern@c...> wrote:
      > a possible corollary to "AND YOU DON'T CARE IF YOU GET THE SOFTWARE":
          "Since we're going to fail at building this software anyway,
          we may as well outsource it and fail more cheaply"

    • aacockburn
      Message 2 of 23 , May 6, 2005
        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Patton" <jpatton@a...>
        wrote:
        > The implication is that people aren't good at self reporting. Is it
        > possible that when we ask designers what they're doing and they give
        > this painting metaphor that they're not self reporting accurately? ;-)

        Yep. I've interviewed and done the ethnographic stuff on developers,
        and one has to doublecheck most of what they claim. I even assume that
        when I describe how I do my ethnographic stuff that I'm lying some
        unknown percent of the time. Now don't you feel reassured? ;-))
      • Ron Jeffries
        Message 3 of 23 , May 6, 2005
          On Friday, May 6, 2005, at 7:19:47 PM, aacockburn wrote:

          > --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Patton" <jpatton@a...>
          > wrote:
          >> The implication is that people aren't good at self reporting. Is it
          >> possible that when we ask designers what they're doing and they give
          >> this painting metaphor that they're not self reporting accurately? ;-)

          > Yep. I've interviewed and done the ethnographic stuff on developers,
          > and one has to doublecheck most of what they claim. I even assume that
          > when I describe how I do my ethnographic stuff that I'm lying some
          > unknown percent of the time. Now don't you feel reassured? ;-))

          I do. I wasn't sure you knew that. :)

          Ron Jeffries
          www.XProgramming.com
          I could be wrong. I frequently am.