Re: Google tricked me by making me think it was going to do something stupid

  • aacockburn
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2005
      Thanks for that lead, Phlip ! I went and tried it and it has the real
      Google trademark fun stuff. I loved dragging the map to pan,
      especially in the satellite view, and watching it fill in under me
      (even with a slow phone line). But then I couldn't work out how to
      get the place I wanted in the center of the map so that I could zoom
      in on it (I was trying to hit Key West, and kept getting full screens
      of ocean). and there aren't very many tips posted on the screen.

      So finally, just for the sake of argument, I double-clicked somewhere
      in the picture, and it panned the map slowly until that place became
      the center! (so now I know how to center a location).

      OK, so the "center this location" wasn't obvious, but it's there, and
      it's entertainment all by itself to watch the map pan over to the
      spot.

      ... and then type "pizza" in the local-search box and watch the pizza
      restaurant markers pop onto the satellite image (or watch the drive
      route overlay the satellite image).

      I did check the satellite image for my house, but I couldn't tell if
      my dog was in the yard or not ;-)

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Phlip <phlip2005@g...> wrote:
      > AU:
      >
      > Here's a report from a user in the field.
      >
      > I hit http://maps.google.com to look up driving directions.
      >
      > The resulting map is, of course, very nice. And each leg of the
      > driving directions has a little clicker. I figure the clicker will
      > generate a closup map of that intersection, so I use Open In New
      > Window to see one.
      >
      > I prefer Open in New Window because I dislike losing a base page.
      >
      > However the clicker was JavaScript, so it affected the current page.
      >
      > It raised a little callout above the intersection, with a map
      detail,
      > and the option for a satelite photo!
      >
      > My familiarity with other web pages, and with Google, and my
      > understanding how difficult thick clients are on the web, lead me to
      > assume the implementation would be naive. So my advanced experience
      > worked against me.
      >
      > Does this contrast with the usability principle that advanced users
      > are expected to fall into the advanced features?
      >
      > --
      > Phlip
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2005
        aacockburn wrote:

        > ... and then type "pizza" in the local-search box and watch the pizza
        > restaurant markers pop onto the satellite image (or watch the drive
        > route overlay the satellite image).

        All the refreshes happen inside an <iframe>, so they get rid of the
        danged twitch in the topmost page that we have come to know and love
        over the last decade:

        if (!_nxsl) {document.write('<iframe id="nxsl" onload="_loadnxsl()"
        src="/maps?file=sf"></iframe>');}

        Then notice how the _loadnxsl() thing happens _after_ the iframe has
        loaded its source page and adjusted the geometry. This means
        _loadnxsl() can do its thing quietly and smoothly.

        The Chimp Test passed at Google HQ!

        Now if someone could just do that <iframe> trick for a Wiki test runner... ;-)

        --
        Phlip
      • Jon Kern
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1 11:41 AM
          so what do you suppose the business model is/will be for supplying these links to assorted businesses?
          near my hometown in PA, i tried ice cream, ford, paintball, software development, website development, agile software development, ... pretty impressive

          here is one link i was led to: http://www.parshift.com/Essays/essay005.htm

          kind of an interesting essay (from 1995) on agile concepts!
          -- jon

          Message 4 of 5 , May 1 12:03 PM
            Jon Kern wrote:

            > so what do you suppose the business model is/will be for supplying these
            > links to assorted businesses?

            Raw mindshare. And note there's not a pop-up ad in sight.

            --
            Phlip