Re: Re: Task model => User Interface ... Through task (esential use) cases?

  • Agust�n Villena
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 24, 2005
      Hi Larry!

      The problem that I faced when trying to apply U-CD (in the Larry way) is
      that Is really dificult to know when the esential use case is "ready".
      Thnking "a la" Test Driven Development: what tests the essential use case
      should pass to be considered "ok"?

      Agustin
    • Larry Constantine
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 24, 2005
        Agustin,

        Of course, there is no simple algorithmic test, but here is how I view it.
        An essential use case is "ready" when four things are true.

        (1) It is expressed at an approprate level of abstraction. It is abstract
        and generalized but still specific to the particular task case and the
        application being designed. In other words, it is not "unsuitably vague."
        ("Expressing needs" as a user intention is unsuitably vague; "specifying
        kinds of entertainment is of interest" is not.)

        (2) It is technology- and implementation-independent. It has been purged of
        all technological or implementation terms and of all references, explicit or
        implicit, to specific solutions. This includes hidden assumptions in such
        technology-oriented words as "list" (implies a list of items). Seemingly
        innocent common words like "search" often carry implied baggage. (A user may
        intend to "find" or "get" or "identify" something, but "search" is a
        specific technology solution, not a user intention. The moment you use the
        word, it becomes all but impossible not to visualize a search box with a
        "go" button.)

        (3) It is expressed in terms of ordinary user language and the defined
        vocabulary of the subject matter or application domain. Elements of the
        subject matter or application domain are correctly and consistently
        referenced.

        (4) It is complete, enabling the user to perform the overall intention it
        represents. We verify completeness by walking through the task case, asking
        whether the user could complete the task assuming a user interface that
        supplied the necessary features and a system that carried out its
        responsibilities.

        With regards to the last criterion, completeness may refer only to the
        "happy case" or also to exceptions and alternatives, depending on resources
        and level of formality of the process. If it is a small application being
        designed under agile conditions, extensions may be allowed to emerge as
        needed rather than being elaborated and validated explicitly at the outset.

        --Larry Constantine, IDSA [mailto:lconstantine@...]
          Chief Scientist | Constantine & Lockwood, Ltd. | www.foruse.com

        Through task (esential use)