RE: [agile-usability] Re: Names of companies that have adopted ag ile software development in a CMM environ

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2005
      CMM stands for Capacity Maturity Model. This is a model proposed by the
      Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon, which was inspired by a
      manufacturing model called MMM (Manufacturing Maturity Model). It's in the
      line of Total Quality Management and related things (ex: ISO200x).

      There are 5 levels of CMM. At level 1, you are essentially using ad-hoc,
      slash-and-burn programming (no methodology or process at all). At level 5,
      you are using a number of standardized processes to build software, and
      measuring how each processes work in different circumstances, so that you
      can apply the correct process in the correct circumstances.

      CMM is sort of the antithesis of Agile methods in many respects. It
      emphasises processes, documentation and even meta-processes and
      meta-documentation (i.e. have documentation and a process to evaluate how
      well your S/W processes are working). In contrast, Agile methods tend to
      emphasize working code and people.

      But I would say that the two approaches are compatible up to CMM level 3.
      After that, CMM requires more meta-documentation and meta-process than would
      be palatable to most people in the Agile community.

      Alain Désilets