The project manager's Declaration of Interdependence

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2005
      I feel this email advisory from Jim Highsmith is important enough that I'm cross-posting it to the XP, Scrum, Crystal and APM groups. Apologies for the duplication to those of you who subscribe to all of those lists.

      The reason I feel this note is that important is that it represents modern project managers getting together and also declaring a shift in approach --- one that I wish / hope will eventually become so natural that people will be asked Why? if they don't monitor by value instead of effort, focus on people, etc etc

      Read Jim's words ...

      Welcome to the Agile Project Management E-Mail Advisor, a
      weekly electronic briefing from Cutter Consortium's Agile Project
      Management Advisory Service.

      THE DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE

      by Jim Highsmith, Director, Agile Project Management Practice
      http://www.cutter.com/consultants/jhbio.html

      A group of managers from different project and product domains
      came together recently to discover our common ground with respect
      to Agile and Adaptive Management (Similar to the Agile Manifesto
      meeting of 2001). This group represented people from the software
      development community (Alistair Cockburn, Mike Cohn, me), the
      product development community (Preston Smith), and the general
      project management community (Doug DeCarlo, Robert Wysocki).

      Six core values emerged from our collaboration. Together, they
      form what we have named, "The Declaration of Interdependence" for
      Agile-Adaptive Management (the name Agile-Adaptive is not
      official at this point):

        1. We increase return on investment by making continuous flow of
          value our focus.

        2. We deliver reliable results by engaging customers in frequent
          interactions and shared ownership.

        3. We manage uncertainty through iterations, anticipation, and
          adaptation.

        4. We unleash creativity and innovation by recognizing that
          individuals are the ultimate source of value, and creating an
          environment where they can make a difference.

        5. We boost performance through group accountability for results
          and shared responsibility for team effectiveness.

        6. We improve effectiveness and reliability through situationally
          specific strategies, processes, and practices.

        [Copyright 2005 David Anderson, Sanjiv Augustine, Christopher
        Avery, Alistair Cockburn, Mike Cohn, Doug DeCarlo, Donna
        Fitzgerald, Jim Highsmith, Ole Jepsen, Lowell Lindstrom, Todd
        Little, Kent MacDonald, Polyanna Pixton, Preston Smith and
        Robert Wysocki.]

      The intention of this group is to form a membership organization
      (our next step) to support agile, adaptive project and general
      management (details will be posted on our Web site at
      http://www.agileprojectmgt.com . Although this group is separate
      from the Agile Alliance, our intention is to work closely with that
      group within the software community, but also work with people
      and companies outside of software and IT.

      The title "Declaration of Interdependence" has multiple meanings. It
      means that project team members are part of an interdependent
      whole and not a group of unconnected individuals. It means that
      project teams, their customers, and their stakeholders are also
      interdependent. Project teams who do not recognize this
      interdependence will rarely be successful.

      These values also form an interdependent set. While each is
      important independent of the others, the six form a system of values
      that provides a modern view of managing projects, particularly the
      complex, uncertain ones. The six statements -- value, uncertainty,
      customers, individuals, teams, and context (situationally specific) --
      define an inseparable whole. For example: It's hard to deliver value
      without a customer who values something. It's hard to have viable
      teams without recognizing individual contributions. It's hard to
      manage uncertainty without applying situational specific strategies.

      Each of the value statements have a distinct form -- why the item is
      important precedes the description of the value. So, "increasing
      return on investment" is why focusing on continuous flow of value
      is important. The value statements emphasize the importance of
      delivering reliable (not the same as repeatable) results, managing
      uncertainty, unleashing creativity and innovation, boosting
      performance, and improving effectiveness.

      Each of the means statements conveys what this group thinks are the
      most important aspects of modern project management, and they also
      attempt to differentiate an agile-adaptive style of project
      management. For example, in the last value statement, the phrase
      "situationally specific strategies, processes, and practices," indicates
      that these items should not be overly standardized and static, but
      dynamic to fit the needs of projects and teams. Other styles of
      project management are more prone to standardization and
      prescriptive processes.

      If you are interested in more information on this organization, please
      visit our Web site or follow the discussion on
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agilemanagement/ . If you want
      other information, please contact me directly at Cutter Consortium
      (jhighsmith@...).

      -- Jim Highsmith, Director, Agile Project Management Practice