Re: user centered design overlaps with traditional analysis?

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 10, 2005
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Heim" <sue_heim@m...>
      wrote:
      > Can't your subscribe to the Wiki, so that changes to any document
      are sent
      > out to the appropriate parties? This would ensure, anyways, that
      folks
      > who've already read the doc will be notified that there is a
      revision, and
      > they oh yeah, maybe they oughta go check it out...?

      We've been bad at subscribing to changes - we've had the silly belief
      that since they're sitting a few feet from us and they know that
      we're working on their story they might /tell/ us. But, I'm being
      overly harsh - our super users are good people and usually do tell
      us.

      The bigger problems have been that the documents they write contain
      lots of words... lots of words that they've written independently
      without a lot of support from others. Those words contain design
      decisions. Programmers read the words and say to themselves, "these
      are my requirements, I'll write the software this way." There's
      often not much conversation about those words. But, often we find
      out the words result in a piece of software that's clumsy to use - or
      has contradictory information in it. In those cases we have a
      conversation with the person who wrote the document and find that
      what they'd written isn't really what they meant, and they're quick
      to accept any suggestions we have for improvement.

      At our recent reflection session we decided it would be best if the
      documents were delievered along with a face to face conversation. We
      continue to be reminded that documents give us a false sense of
      security - that words in print seem "right" even though they're often
      not.

      thanks,

      -Jeff
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 10, 2005
        I lived though similar situations. And the politics always ended badly.

        > Can't your subscribe to the Wiki, so that changes to any document
        are sent
        > out to the appropriate parties? This would ensure, anyways, that
        folks
        > who've already read the doc will be notified that there is a
        revision, and
        > they oh yeah, maybe they oughta go check it out...?

        We've been bad at subscribing to changes - we've had the silly belief
        that since they're sitting a few feet from us and they know that
        we're working on their story they might /tell/ us. But, I'm being
        overly harsh - our super users are good people and usually do tell
        us.

        The bigger problems have been that the documents they write contain
        lots of words... lots of words that they've written independently
        without a lot of support from others. Those words contain design
        decisions. Programmers read the words and say to themselves, "these
        are my requirements, I'll write the software this way." There's
        often not much conversation about those words. But, often we find
        out the words result in a piece of software that's clumsy to use - or
        has contradictory information in it. In those cases we have a
        conversation with the person who wrote the document and find that
        what they'd written isn't really what they meant, and they're quick
        to accept any suggestions we have for improvement.

        At our recent reflection session we decided it would be best if the
        documents were delievered along with a face to face conversation. We
        continue to be reminded that documents give us a false sense of
        security - that words in print seem "right" even though they're often
        not.

        thanks,

        -Jeff

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 10, 2005
          It's funny that you mention those failure conditions. There is this product that automatically handes those failures. They call these failures exceptions. For design, you just have to worry about the happy paths. So far I'm really impressed by its simplicity.

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 10, 2005

            We’ve only recently started writing use-cases, so take this for what it is worth.

            When we sit down to create the use-cases (usually with product management, QA and someone from customer service all taking the role of “user”), it’s been interesting to see how the UI has changed from what the developer thought it should be, to something that really works for the user.  By discussing the failure conditions and how the UI is going to respond, the developers have really been re-thinking the entire front end, especially how it interacts with the backend.

            We had one project recently where a developer created the UI based on the simple requirements delivered, just the way we use to do it.  Everyone, including people from outside of development, really liked what he had done.  He was then pulled off on another project while we got together and created use-cases.  When we revisited the UI, it became blatantly obvious that it would not work and we redesigned it.  (What a concept!)

            Anyway, in that case, the failure conditions and how it was decided to be handled in the UI, actually simplified the way the backend needed to work.

            --Darin

            wrote:
            > This team has been very detail oriented, so the specs
            > represent a documentation of every possible thing that
            > could ever happen. (What if a fire alarm sounds while
            > the user is eating a low-fat tuna sandwich while
            > entering this data? Is that different from the case in
            > which the tuna sandwich is made with regular tuna
            > salad?")

            These are the failure conditions I hear Alistair Cockburn harp about
            frequently... and he's winning me over.  Doing design work often has
            me focusing on the most probable "happy path" and paying a bit less
            attention to failure conditions.  Alistair asserts that use cases
            force consideration of those failure conditions sooner.  And,
            supporting what he's saying I've seen lots of nasty stuff that causes
            delays in development bubble out of the failure conditions.  But,
            often that nasty stuff only slightly affects UI design or user
            interactions.

            Is it safe to assume that fire-alarm-with-low-fat-tuna-salad was a
            failure condition on a use case?  Did you have use cases to work
            from, and did you find that the usecases documented basic user
            interaction reasonably - in a way useful for your design work?

          • Jamie Nettles
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 24, 2005
              Absolutely. I use software to accomplish tasks. I want the software to work. I want to get the job done efficiently and move on. Makes me want to reread "Software for Use".

            • Larry Constantine
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 25, 2005
                Jamie wrote:

                "Absolutely. I use software to accomplish tasks. I want the software to
                work. I want to get the job done efficiently and move on. Makes me want to
                reread "Software for Use"."

                Go for it! :-) I'll even autograph your copy.

                I am increasingly convinced that mainstream user-centered design has drifted
                off target, although I get brickbats every time I dare to suggest this in
                public. I did stick my neck out recently in the Cutter IT Journal in a
                provocative article called "Beyond User-Centered Design"
                (http://www.cutter.com/offers/userdesign.html).

                --Larry Constantine, IDSA
                Chief Scientist | Constantine & Lockwood Ltd | www.foruse.com