Re: [agile-usability] user centered design overlaps with traditional analysis?

  • Kay Burnett
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2005
      this is a really interesting conversation about many topics in one context! I come to it as a former analyst turned UCD/Usability person. And I will segway (sp?) with a comment on Hugh's notion of the changing role of the usability person -- I have thought for some time that the title or topic of "usability" needs to either be defined narrowly or be expanded to include the up-front processes of UCD with some monitoring during the actaul development and then back-end usability in an iterative cycle. This change has to occur, IMHO, because our clients often know only the word usability but don't really know UCD. We need to push to do the full cycle of UCD and usability: gathering customer needs, developing concepts based on their needs, prototyping and testing various concepts to find a fit to user needs and then and only then building out a final product.

      The best convergence of analyst and designer came from a conversation at UPA 2004 during the /what are they called/ poster sessions. A woman / whom I don't want to incorrectly identify but I'm not sure of her name so I won't name her / talked about her agile environment in which she was spearheading a continuous user research effort so that when user centered information was needed quickly in the agile cycle, she could visit the base of research that had been done and pull out user needs and desires around the part of the system that was being developed at that time. So they ran parallel processes in research and development and the 2 came together when needed. In a traditional UCD process, the user research often is crunched by being squeezed into a short timeframe and risking missing having the impact it could on the design and subsequent development.

      Hope this makes some sense to someone...thanks for the impetus to share.
      Kay Burnett
      Information Architect
      Dearborn

      Jeff Patton <jpatton@...> wrote:

      I've been making the assertion over the last couple months that what
      traditional analysts are doing overlaps to a large degree with what
      UCD folks do.  I'd be curious if others agree.

      On my current project we have super user/analysts - folks that were
      strong users that are now being coached by a super-analyst to write
      XP type stories.  We've also got a few UCD/UI design/usability
      people.  There's a strained collaboration between these two groups.
      Both seem to have the goal of describing a piece of software that
      best addresses user needs.  But, they have different backgrounds, use
      different approaches, and often come up with different solutions.
      They know they have something to offer each other, but are having
      trouble coming up with common language to do so.  [I sometimes wonder
      whether the Meyers-Briggs scores for these two groups will ever allow
      them to communicate effectively... ;-) ]

      I spent a bit of time with Alistair Cockburn over last week trying to
      draw lines between use cases [and the techniques surrounding their
      use] and the hodge-podge of UCD stuff I'm doing.  User profiles look
      like elaborated on actors.  Actor-goal lists look like Constantine-
      style user roles - or possibly summary level use cases.  User tasks
      look like "sea level" use cases.  Where my UCD stuff emphasizes
      information about the user and their context of use, Use Cases excel
      at putting pressure on workflow variations - the ones that point out
      exceptions in business rules and approaches to failures in tasks -
      stuff I often don't spend much time thinking about.  In short
      strokes, I'm seeing a fair bit of conceptual overlap between
      information covered in use case stuff, and information I try to
      contain in other types of UCD models.  The information is just
      expressed differently.

      I sense that this is the challenge that UCD people often have
      integrating what they do into organizations with traditional
      requirements gathering analysts.  Can anyone listening in speak to
      that?

      And, can anyone draw some correlation between traditional analysis
      artifacts and UCD models?

      And finally, can anyone tell any stories about how they've
      effectively [or ineffectively] combined analysts and UCD people?

      thanks,

      -Jeff

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Josh Seiden
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2005
        Since this has come up a lot recently, I thought I'd
        chime in.

        There is a growing movement to call the larger
        practice of user-centered-design by the name "User
        Experience Design", "Experience Design" or simply,
        "UX", and to consider the word "usability" in it's
        narrow meaning.

        This naming convention is based on a couple of ideas:

        1. That as products and services become more complex,
        they require people who practice a variety of
        disciplines to get the product/service built.

        An e-commerce site might need interaction design,
        information architecture, usability evaluation graphic
        design, service design, corporate identity design,
        etc.

        2. Some of these people have titles that identify the
        single discipline they practice (graphic design) and
        other do not. (As noted, "usability people" might
        practice a variety of disciplines.)

        3. That there is value in identifying the common
        thread and methods, and value in developing the
        various disciplines with greater rigor.

        Thus, we're starting to see some umbrella
        organizations emerge to represent the larger practice
        of User Experience Design. These organizations include
        AIGA-ED and UXnet.net.

        We're also starting to see some new discipline-focused
        organizations like AIFIA and IxDG that advocate for
        more narrow definitions of their respective
        disciplines.

        And of course, as with all naming exercises, this one
        had plenty of politics and controversy too. ;-)

        JS

        --- Kay Burnett <kayburnett2002@...> wrote:

        > I have
        > thought for some time that the title or topic of
        > "usability" needs to either be defined narrowly or
        > be expanded
      • Kay Burnett

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 2, 2005
            > I've been making the assertion over the last couple months that
            what
            > traditional analysts are doing overlaps to a large degree with
            what
            > UCD folks do. I'd be curious if others agree.

            [snip]

            > And finally, can anyone tell any stories about how they've
            effectively
            > [or ineffectively] combined analysts and UCD people?

            Jeff,

            I agreee that there is a lot of overlap but as Kay said, a lot of
            the foundational assumptions are different.

            What's maddening is that the goals of the analyst and UX person
            are similar, the differences in assumptions are rather subtle,
            and the tools similar.

            Witness the thread last year on use cases that Alistair and I
            participated in. It took a long time to work out the similarities
            and distinctions between the narrative tools he calls Use Cases,
            and the one I call Scenarios. And frankly, a few months later,
            I've still got a pretty slippery grasp on the subject.

            Now, a story:

            On my current project, I'm working with a team that is building a
            supply-chain management application. The application will be
            used by an organization of 500+ people, working in a global
            sourcing operation. The team (composed of 6 outside business
            analysts, 6 inside business analysts and user representatives, 3
            inside technology analysts, and a large vendor team with
            expertise in this business area) worked for 8 months producing
            functional spec documents. When they saw the first builds coming
            in from the development team, they realized they needed someone
            to help with UI design, and called me in.

            Here's what I found: The team has completed about 10 functional
            spec documents, covering 10 of the 20 modules of the system. Each
            spec doc is about 80 pages long. Each contains use cases,
            business rules, and detailed field definitions. They are detailed
            and carefully considered documents. But they're not enough.

            Some observations:

            1. The functional specs have no drawings in them. They are text
            documents, with long paragraphs, complex indented bulleted lists,
            and long multi-page tables. Thus to understand the spec each
            reader must work hard to visualization the system in his or her
            head.

            2. The specs describe *the way the team wants the software to
            work* rather than the business problem to solve. In other words,
            the specs are not problem descriptions, ("requirements"
            documents) but solution descriptions. To describe a solution,
            one has to envision a solution, which is what this team did, but:
            -- they embodied their vision in text, not pictures
            -- the visioning is thus implicit, not explicit.
            -- There is no way to be certain that anyone was envisioning the
            same thing.

            3. Some of the specs have been written by analysts with a
            background in software, but others are written by business
            experts. Some have good visualization skills, some don't.
            Regardless, none are experts in visualizing software Uis, so each
            imagined certain functions working in certain ways. Some way
            database tables. Some saw the relationships between objects. Some
            saw Excel. Some saw SAP. Regardless of the relative visualization
            skills of each reader, there is a high probability that none will
            be visualizing the same thing.

            Conclusion: This team created and documented a design, but had no
            designer working to visualize that design--to turn the abstract
            concrete. Futhermore, they didn't think they needed one! It
            wasn't until they saw the project starting to head south that
            they realized they had to augment their team.

            So how does this tie back to Jeff's original point?

            The analysis team did excellent work, but they were missing an
            entire "dimension" of specification. Without a visual channel,
            the specs were incomplete, and thus unworkable. I couldn't have
            done my work without the analysis in place, but if I had come on
            early, my needs would have changed the structure of the analysis.
            We probably would have covered the same material--and perhaps
            made most of the same decisions, but we would have organized the
            work and the work product very differently, and we would have
            saved a lot of wasted effort. I think the reverse is true as
            well--if I had been working on the problem for eight months
            without "traditional analysis", I would have missed a dimension
            of specification, and would have had to go back, restructure, and
            re-spec. (But I never would have gotten 8 months down the road
            first ;-)

            JS
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
              Hmmm... Been my experience that documents and artifacts are communication channels geared to a particular audience... That it is an agreement of what is to be done. If I were to write something for the CEO, it would look very different than if it was for a programmer. Even if I was conveying the same information. Sometimes verbal works better than written to

> [...]

              So how does this tie back to Jeff's original point?

              The analysis team did excellent work, but they were missing an
              entire "dimension" of specification. Without a visual channel,
              the specs were incomplete, and thus unworkable. I couldn't have
              done my work without the analysis in place, but if I had come on
              early, my needs would have changed the structure of the analysis.
              We probably would have covered the same material--and perhaps
              made most of the same decisions, but we would have organized the
              work and the work product very differently, and we would have
              saved a lot of wasted effort. I think the reverse is true as
              well--if I had been working on the problem for eight months
              without "traditional analysis", I would have missed a dimension
              of specification, and would have had to go back, restructure, and
              re-spec. (But I never would have gotten 8 months down the road

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Kay Burnett
                <kayburnett2002@y...> wrote:
                <snip>
                ...with in the course of their use of the product. IME, the
                traditional analyst assumes a product and wants to start by defining
                features and functions which makes me uncomfortable until I can know
                something about the people involved. Once the effort gets underway,
                there is overlap in the analysis of available information. It is just
                that the starting places are different -- and this, in the long run,
                is a BIG difference.
                </snip>

                That "starting by describing the features and functions of the
                product" thing is the part that makes me nervous for a couple
                reasons. I've observed that among folks engaged in analyst type
                activities that the idea of looking back and doing some work to
                understand the users of the system and their goals is usually thought
                of as adding more work onto their already full plate. But what
                concerns me more, is the plate is full describing, in too much
                detail, a hypothetical piece of software - described without
                understanding of how and why it would be used.

                But, I'm venting. I'm hoping it only seems that way to me. I'm
                hoping there are activities that analysts are engaged in that overlap
                with the type of user info gathering done by some UCD approach. If I
                could identify those, place emphasis on them, and combine them with
                some UCD techniques, I think we'd all come out ahead.

                thanks Kay for your post!

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                  --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Seiden"
                  <joshseiden@y...> wrote:

                  Thanks Josh, this is a great story -

                  > The analysis team did excellent work, but they were missing an
                  > entire "dimension" of specification. Without a visual channel,
                  > the specs were incomplete,

                  In your story you describe what the analysts produced as a design
                  specification - one missing a visual channel. I wonder if you think
                  the design was an appropriate one? I suspect to help this company
                  out that you had to backtrack a little and learn about about the
                  people using the software and what they were trying to accomplish by
                  doing so. Is that true? If so, how was that effort met? Did you
                  find any surprises doing that? Was there functionality designed into
                  the spec that wasn't needed? Was there functionality left out of the
                  spec that was? And, finally, assuming some of that stuff whas true,
                  giving bad news about an expensive-to-create design spec usually
                  results in the death of a messenger. Assuming some of that went on,
                  how was your resulting advice met?

                  Thanks again for the post.

                  -Jeff
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Accidentially sent it out.

                    To finish my thought...

                    Sometimes verbal is better than written. It depends. I saw artifacts hinder a project in terms of productivity, infighting and politics. Or the process was to deliver artifacts, not value.

                    Found things usually don't fail from a missing artifact. Usually because of communication - uncontrolled or lack of.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris@p...> wrote:
                      > Hmmm... Been my experience that documents and artifacts are
                      communication channels geared to a particular audience...

                      Maybe that's a good argument for a "one size doesn't fit all" rule.
                      Spending a lot of time and money crafting a single way to communicate
                      information seems like a risky notion.

                      -Jeff
                    • Josh Seiden
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                        Well yes, the point is about communication, not about
                        artifacts.

                        The fact that the artifacts were missing an entire
                        dimension of communication is a symptom of a
                        communication problem.

                        But paradoxically, if the team had felt that the
                        artifacts required a visual channel, then they would
                        have had to think about the problem in visual
                        terms--and would have been forced to think through the
                        problem more completely.

                        JS

                        --- Chris <chris@...> wrote:

                        > Accidentially sent it out.
                        >
                        > To finish my thought...
                        >
                        > Sometimes verbal is better than written. It depends.
                        > I saw artifacts hinder a project in terms of
                        > productivity, infighting and politics. Or the
                        > process was to deliver artifacts, not value.
                        >
                        > Found things usually don't fail from a missing
                        > artifact. Usually because of communication -
                        > uncontrolled or lack of.

                        === message truncated ===
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris@p...> wrote:
                          > Accidentially sent it out.
                          >
                          > To finish my thought...
                          >
                          > Sometimes verbal is better than written. It depends. I saw
                          artifacts hinder a project in terms of productivity, infighting and
                          politics. Or the process was to deliver artifacts, not value.

                          > Found things usually don't fail from a missing artifact. Usually
                          because of communication - uncontrolled or lack of.

                          Glad you finished your thought. Couldn't agree more. On my current
                          agile project we document stuff we know about a story and post it on
                          a wiki. Our expert users sit feet from us. We've noticed a problem
                          where the expert user finds out an important piece of information,
                          then updates the document to include it. Now folks have already read
                          the document, and don't think to scan it for changes/revisions. At
                          the end of the iteration when we've missed an important detail, and
                          can see it right there in the document, our first thought is "why
                          didn't we just talk about this?" The artifact was present - but gave
                          folks a false sense of security.

                          thanks for your post.

                          -Jeff
                        • Chris
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                            Sometimes a visual channel is not appropriate. Depends again on the audience. Myself I prefer visual. Seen others more productive with written word. It depends on a person's logical systems and beliefs. The common problem is information complexity and organization.

                            --- Chris <chris@...> wrote:

                            > Accidentially sent it out.
                            >
                            > To finish my thought...
                            >
                            > Sometimes verbal is better than written. It depends.
                            > I saw artifacts hinder a project in terms of
                            > productivity, infighting and politics. Or the
                            > process was to deliver artifacts, not value.
                            >
                            > Found things usually don't fail from a missing
                            > artifact. Usually because of communication -
                            > uncontrolled or lack of.

                            === message truncated ===

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005

                              > In your story you describe what the analysts
                              > produced as a design
                              > specification - one missing a visual channel. I
                              > wonder if you think
                              > the design was an appropriate one?

                              The big problem is that it was not complete. Most of
                              the work that was there was appropriate. 5-10 percent
                              was misguided because it made incorrect assumptions
                              about the user interface.

                              But because it did not specify a user interface, it
                              left open a giant risk factor.

                              > I suspect to
                              > help this company
                              > out that you had to backtrack a little and learn
                              > about about the
                              > people using the software and what they were trying
                              > to accomplish by
                              > doing so. Is that true? If so, how was that effort
                              > met? Did you
                              > find any surprises doing that?

                              I did have to backtrack, and I'm still doing it. But
                              the timeline is such that not much backtracking is
                              possible.

                              The team include a great many users, ex-users, and
                              subject matter experts, so I am reviewing the work
                              with them.

                              In this case though, it's not that the team didn't ask
                              the right questions or gather the right data. They
                              just did a different form of analysis that I needed to
                              do.

                              So my "backtracking" is really a matter of reviewing
                              the work with them and performing a different kind of
                              analysis on the data.

                              > Was there
                              > functionality designed into
                              > the spec that wasn't needed? Was there
                              > functionality left out of the
                              > spec that was?

                              This team has been very detail oriented, so the specs
                              represent a documentation of every possible thing that
                              could ever happen. (What if a fire alarm sounds while
                              the user is eating a low-fat tuna sandwich while
                              entering this data? Is that different from the case in
                              which the tuna sandwich is made with regular tuna
                              salad?")

                              My starting place has been to separate out the
                              probable from the possible.

                              > And, finally, assuming some of that
                              > stuff whas true,
                              > giving bad news about an expensive-to-create design
                              > spec usually
                              > results in the death of a messenger. Assuming some
                              > of that went on,
                              > how was your resulting advice met?

                              Well, the project leaders have been very receptive to
                              my work. They saw the first UIs coming in, and saw the
                              future of the project suddenly turn black. They have
                              spent a lot of time and money on this and are willing
                              to spend a little more to ensure success.

                              One measure of success: the executive sponsors saw my
                              first design proposals, and demanded a *project delay*
                              in order to ensure that the improved UI designs were
                              included in the first release. The sponsors went to
                              the well for a very large dollar amount to fund the
                              extra three months of development work that this
                              change requires.

                              > Thanks again for the post.

                              Thanks again for the list.
                            • Sue Heim
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                                Jeff:
                                >Glad you finished your thought. Couldn't agree more. On my current
                                >agile project we document stuff we know about a story and post it on
                                >a wiki. Our expert users sit feet from us. We've noticed a problem
                                >where the expert user finds out an important piece of information,
                                >then updates the document to include it. Now folks have already read
                                >the document, and don't think to scan it for changes/revisions. At
                                >the end of the iteration when we've missed an important detail, and
                                >can see it right there in the document, our first thought is "why
                                >didn't we just talk about this?" The artifact was present - but gave
                                >folks a false sense of security.

                                Can't your subscribe to the Wiki, so that changes to any document are sent
                                out to the appropriate parties? This would ensure, anyways, that folks
                                who've already read the doc will be notified that there is a revision, and
                                they oh yeah, maybe they oughta go check it out...?

                                ...sue
                              • Jade Ohlhauser
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                                  I like this conversation because I've found spec documentation to be the most important design & development tool I have. And I try to use *agile documentation creation*. I think it would be disastrous to simply take a design team, spend x months writing a complete spec down to the finest detail, then "throw it over the wall" to the developers. Our specs grow along with the development the code (in fact we keep them in source control).

                                  When it comes to specs I believe width is more important to depth. Makes sure the spec is end to end, but it's OK if you can't go into detail on everything in between right away. However, where there is a lack of details or an unknown make sure it is clearly identified. This way we can get started reviewing the spec and talking about the feature sooner. With the unknowns or potential issues flagged it means they can't "go unspoken" until the end of development and blow up. As development goes on the spec also starts "filling in"

                                  For me I think the most valuable things of written specs are they force you to think of the complete solution and they remove ambiguity.

                                  Some things I've learned about good specs:

                                  1. Every feature/module starts out with a 1 sentence summary. That headline style introduction is then followed by a 1 paragraph summary. It's important to ease people into the details like this, as I think Joshua knows all too well :)

                                  2. In addition to the summary, is paragraph (or so) summarizing the business need for the feature. It's here where I defend (in brief) why this feature should be built including mentioning specific customers if applicable. Now you could argue that developers don't need this information, but I've found it to be valuable for everyone to know the business influences. The same applies to the next section...

                                  3. Every feature also includes a sentence (or so) that says what the goal of this feature is. What is the user trying to accomplish? Of course this will be covered extensively in the meat of the spec, it's good to ease people in and provide them with the big picture view. This also gives people the challenge the spec, i.e. does the feature as spec meet the goal it says it's supposed to.

                                  4. Those first 3 may seem to overlap, but that's OK. Giving people a little extra info is far better than not giving them enough or expecting them to build a visual model of the feature from details only. Imagine trying to visualize a new building from blueprints alone. It's possible, but how much easier is it when you also get a little cardboard model. Also, the above 3 each approach the overview of the feature from a different angle: the functionality, the reason for building it, and the end goal of the user.

                                  5. Each spec document must have 1 author only. Many people will contribute, but 1 person needs to own the document and control the addition, editing, and removal of content.

                                  6. There shouldn't be any rigid structure or formatting rules. For our specs, the summary, need, and goal are required, but they are followed by the large "details" section which can be any format, allowing the author to do what's best for the given feature. We do have a set style template everyone uses for the fonts and such, but we don't impose any rules on things like how deep to nest x type of list or you have to include a list of every user type, etc. Every feature has unique requirements so this gives the author the freedom to decide what's best. It also makes the writing effort about the content, not the document itself.

                                  7. It's OK to be informal or even attempt to be funny. This makes the spec easier to read and easier to write.

                                  8. When there is a long list of variables or something, it should be move to an appendix at the end of the document. This helps keep the reading flow. The same idea applies to using footnotes where applicable for off-topic notes, term definitions, etc.

                                  Our specs:
                                  We have various functional spec Word documents, each containing several features. Each one of these documents has a matching technical spec document. These documents reside in our StarTeam source control. Along with the functional specs there are page sketches (using less now) and HTML mockups (using more now).

                                  Jade Ohlhauser
                                  Product Manager
                                  RPM Software
                                  www.rpmsoftware.com 403-265-6727

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                                    Agreed.

                                    I use risk with priorities to guide efforts. I see change and the impact of change as risks.

                                    Putting together a very detailed artifact is a risk at different levels. Political, business, project survival, etc.

                                    Reducing the risks sets up the environment for success.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                                      Forgot to mention that this way of thinking is similar to some eastern philosophy. Can't recall which one.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 3, 2005
                                        Message
                                        What I meant by wide over deep is that it covers the end to end "experience", or say "path", of the feature without having to go deep on each feature. In other words, make sure everything that needs to be talked about is there, without necessarily having each point fleshed out. Kind of like an outline.

                                        Other people have said this better than me and I think this point was from Cooper's Asylum, but I may be wrong (too many good books out there).

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 10, 2005
                                          I'm just catching up with this list [and the rest of my life for that
                                          matter...]

                                          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Josh Seiden <joshseiden@y...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > This team has been very detail oriented, so the specs
                                          > represent a documentation of every possible thing that
                                          > could ever happen. (What if a fire alarm sounds while
                                          > the user is eating a low-fat tuna sandwich while
                                          > entering this data? Is that different from the case in
                                          > which the tuna sandwich is made with regular tuna
                                          > salad?")

                                          These are the failure conditions I hear Alistair Cockburn harp about
                                          frequently... and he's winning me over. Doing design work often has
                                          me focusing on the most probable "happy path" and paying a bit less
                                          attention to failure conditions. Alistair asserts that use cases
                                          force consideration of those failure conditions sooner. And,
                                          supporting what he's saying I've seen lots of nasty stuff that causes
                                          delays in development bubble out of the failure conditions. But,
                                          often that nasty stuff only slightly affects UI design or user
                                          interactions.

                                          Is it safe to assume that fire-alarm-with-low-fat-tuna-salad was a
                                          failure condition on a use case? Did you have use cases to work
                                          from, and did you find that the usecases documented basic user
                                          interaction reasonably - in a way useful for your design work?

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 10, 2005
                                            --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Heim" <sue_heim@m...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > Can't your subscribe to the Wiki, so that changes to any document
                                            are sent
                                            > out to the appropriate parties? This would ensure, anyways, that
                                            folks
                                            > who've already read the doc will be notified that there is a
                                            revision, and
                                            > they oh yeah, maybe they oughta go check it out...?

                                            We've been bad at subscribing to changes - we've had the silly belief
                                            that since they're sitting a few feet from us and they know that
                                            we're working on their story they might /tell/ us. But, I'm being
                                            overly harsh - our super users are good people and usually do tell
                                            us.

                                            The bigger problems have been that the documents they write contain
                                            lots of words... lots of words that they've written independently
                                            without a lot of support from others. Those words contain design
                                            decisions. Programmers read the words and say to themselves, "these
                                            are my requirements, I'll write the software this way." There's
                                            often not much conversation about those words. But, often we find
                                            out the words result in a piece of software that's clumsy to use - or
                                            has contradictory information in it. In those cases we have a
                                            conversation with the person who wrote the document and find that
                                            what they'd written isn't really what they meant, and they're quick
                                            to accept any suggestions we have for improvement.

                                            At our recent reflection session we decided it would be best if the
                                            documents were delievered along with a face to face conversation. We
                                            continue to be reminded that documents give us a false sense of
                                            security - that words in print seem "right" even though they're often
                                            not.

                                            thanks,

                                            -Jeff
                                          • Chris
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 10, 2005
                                              I lived though similar situations. And the politics always ended badly.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 10, 2005
                                                It's funny that you mention those failure conditions. There is this product that automatically handes those failures. They call these failures exceptions. For design, you just have to worry about the happy paths. So far I'm really impressed by its simplicity.

                                                wrote:
                                                > This team has been very detail oriented, so the specs
                                                > represent a documentation of every possible thing that
                                                > could ever happen. (What if a fire alarm sounds while
                                                > the user is eating a low-fat tuna sandwich while
                                                > entering this data? Is that different from the case in
                                                > which the tuna sandwich is made with regular tuna
                                                > salad?")

                                                These are the failure conditions I hear Alistair Cockburn harp about
                                                frequently... and he's winning me over. Doing design work often has
                                                me focusing on the most probable "happy path" and paying a bit less
                                                attention to failure conditions. Alistair asserts that use cases
                                                force consideration of those failure conditions sooner. And,
                                                supporting what he's saying I've seen lots of nasty stuff that causes
                                                delays in development bubble out of the failure conditions. But,
                                                often that nasty stuff only slightly affects UI design or user
                                                interactions.

                                                Is it safe to assume that fire-alarm-with-low-fat-tuna-salad was a
                                                failure condition on a use case? Did you have use cases to work
                                                from, and did you find that the usecases documented basic user
                                                interaction reasonably - in a way useful for your design work?

                                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.
                                              • Cummins, Darin
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 10, 2005

                                                  We’ve only recently started writing use-cases, so take this for what it is worth.

                                                  When we sit down to create the use-cases (usually with product management, QA and someone from customer service all taking the role of “user”), it’s been interesting to see how the UI has changed from what the developer thought it should be, to something that really works for the user.  By discussing the failure conditions and how the UI is going to respond, the developers have really been re-thinking the entire front end, especially how it interacts with the backend.

                                                  We had one project recently where a developer created the UI based on the simple requirements delivered, just the way we use to do it.  Everyone, including people from outside of development, really liked what he had done.  He was then pulled off on another project while we got together and created use-cases.  When we revisited the UI, it became blatantly obvious that it would not work and we redesigned it.  (What a concept!)

                                                  Anyway, in that case, the failure conditions and how it was decided to be handled in the UI, actually simplified the way the backend needed to work.

                                                  --Darin

                                                  wrote:
                                                  > This team has been very detail oriented, so the specs
                                                  > represent a documentation of every possible thing that
                                                  > could ever happen. (What if a fire alarm sounds while
                                                  > the user is eating a low-fat tuna sandwich while
                                                  > entering this data? Is that different from the case in
                                                  > which the tuna sandwich is made with regular tuna
                                                  > salad?")

                                                  These are the failure conditions I hear Alistair Cockburn harp about
                                                  frequently... and he's winning me over.  Doing design work often has
                                                  me focusing on the most probable "happy path" and paying a bit less
                                                  attention to failure conditions.  Alistair asserts that use cases
                                                  force consideration of those failure conditions sooner.  And,
                                                  supporting what he's saying I've seen lots of nasty stuff that causes
                                                  delays in development bubble out of the failure conditions.  But,
                                                  often that nasty stuff only slightly affects UI design or user
                                                  interactions.

                                                  Is it safe to assume that fire-alarm-with-low-fat-tuna-salad was a
                                                  failure condition on a use case?  Did you have use cases to work
                                                  from, and did you find that the usecases documented basic user
                                                  interaction reasonably - in a way useful for your design work?

                                                • Jamie Nettles
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 24, 2005
                                                    Absolutely. I use software to accomplish tasks. I want the software to work. I want to get the job done efficiently and move on. Makes me want to reread "Software for Use".

                                                  • Larry Constantine
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 25, 2005
                                                      Jamie wrote:

                                                      "Absolutely. I use software to accomplish tasks. I want the software to
                                                      work. I want to get the job done efficiently and move on. Makes me want to
                                                      reread "Software for Use"."

                                                      Go for it! :-) I'll even autograph your copy.

                                                      I am increasingly convinced that mainstream user-centered design has drifted
                                                      off target, although I get brickbats every time I dare to suggest this in
                                                      public. I did stick my neck out recently in the Cutter IT Journal in a
                                                      provocative article called "Beyond User-Centered Design"
                                                      (http://www.cutter.com/offers/userdesign.html).

                                                      --Larry Constantine, IDSA
                                                      Chief Scientist | Constantine & Lockwood Ltd | www.foruse.com