Re: Rapid Contextual Design?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2005
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Beyer" <beyer@i...>
      wrote:

      > Yes, do this. We're now doing this with an XP team in another
      > company--multiple paper prototype iteractions done by the customer
      team
      > during an iteration; then the findings from those iterations are
      turned into
      > user stories in time to feed the next iteration. Works a treat.

      I saw Lisa & Dave speak at LanDesk last week and wrote down something
      Lisa said:

      "I find the prototype to be a good discussion point. If I don't have
      it the discussion takes a lot longer."

      Two things struck me - the importance of prototyping - and the
      importance of conversation/communication.

      I've seen this play out recently as well. We thrash a lot longer
      over details when we don't have a prototype - a picture - to talk
      over. The resulting software doesn't always end up looking exactly
      like the prototype, but we spend a lot less time thrashing if we all
      see the same things in our head first. For us UI prototyping is
      becoming a critical step - or rather has become expensive to side-
      step.