7654Re: [agile-usability] Serendipity on anthrodesign mailing list

    Jun 23, 2013
      Hey Jared,

      On 23 June 2013 14:30, Jared Spool <jspool@...> wrote:
      [snip]
      Much of the poorly executed research I see happens because the organization's reward system and culture have not been adjusted to accept it. If an organization isn't set up to take the research and its results in (which are separate things), then you get the result of the shiny report on the CEO desk. (Ironically, the best research never has a report to put on the CEOs desk, which is fine, because the CEO was involved in the work throughout.)

      This. Times a bazillion.

      You can't separate the problems with being with "research", "researchers", or "organisations", in my opinion. They are deeply integrated.

      Indeed - in fact I'll just copy'n'paste something I wrote yesterday on the anthrodesign list

      ---- [snip start] ----

      I no longer judge my success on the quality of my findings.

      I judge it on the effect of my findings.

      It doesn't matter how glorious the insights. If they don't end up making the organisation, the product, the world better they're a failure. If management, developers, designers, whoever ignores 'em - that's my fault. Not theirs. I've not laid the groundwork for those results to be used effectively. I've delivered something they cannot use or apply. I've solved a different problem from the one that needed solving.

      I'm not saying that if an organisation cannot accept or work with "deep" insights I shouldn't do the research. I'm saying that in that situation the first order of the day is to help the organisation move to a place where it can get value.

      Until I do - doing the research is waste.

      ---- [snip end] ----

      adrianh@... / +44 (0)7752 419080 / @adrianh / quietstars.com
      Subscribe to the latest Agile & Lean UX news here > http://is.gd/KREt5S

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic