7650Re: Serendipity on anthrodesign mailing list

  • davidkallen
    Jun 22, 2013
      Natalie, I agree with everything you wrote in that post, with one adjustment: Your company are fortunate to have YOU lead the team, creating a climate where mutual respect exists, and cross-functional innovation towards a common goal is invited. That is the climate needed to effectively blend the long-term research with the tactical agility and deliver high-quality products quickly. And this climate does not occur by accident. It is created by leaders like you, supported by team members who believe in that common vision. And it can only continue if your management has the vision to support you.

      Our team struggles with the same challenges of blending the different worlds of the UX/IA designer with the agile software developer. Even the UX/IA world has its own blend of hypothesis-driven science and intuition-driven art and aesthetics. Is it any wonder this is hard for teams to achieve? We must blend art, science, business, and engineering into a unified product. To do this, we must blend together teams whose passion ranges across all those areas. It's a miracle that we pull together and achieve this in even small part.

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Natalie Hanson <ndhanthro@...> wrote:
      > Those methods have the reputation of being long and expensive (though it doesn't need to be the case!).
      > I currently manage a centralized UX team in a software development organization;
      > … but I am fortunate to work in a team where there is a lot of mutual respect and ...
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic