7628Re: Building Agile Personas

  • joshseiden
    Apr 12, 2013
      I just want to chime in with 98% endorsement of what Larry says here.

      I made a lot of Cooper style personas when I worked at Cooper. I disagree with Larry that all that narrative stuff "offers little leverage." I think that stuff is really really valuable to the creative process. That said, creating those personas with all that narrative stuff is really hard, and really hard to get right, so I've stopped recommending the technique. I just think it's important to understand why designers do it.

      As to the model-driven inquiry portion of Larry's post, I completely agree. In agile environments, I now use a very simplified model of personas. This model starts as a collection of assumptions. If you stop there, the model will have some value, but not much. The key to using this approach is that you have to engage in continuous customer research through the life of project and use that research to continuously update your model. In this way, the persona becomes *a representation of what you know now.* That's a really important construct, and one that's worth maintaining.

      JS

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Constantine" <lconstantine@...> wrote:

      > Hi Paritosh,
      >

      > You are correct about personas. For agile design and development, there are
      > better approaches. The first is to carry out model-driven inquiry instead of
      > an open ended ethnographic field study or extended contextual inquiry that
      > generates tons of "data". Instead, you start with exploratory modeling to
      > identify areas for short, focused field inquiry. Then the model is refined
      > and completed as needed for the immediate design.
      >

      > The second is to employ user roles instead of fully fledged personas. The
      > latter include a great deal of "noise" that serves primarily to make the
      > persona seem real but has little or nothing to do with good design. User
      > roles, as constructed in usage-centered design or activity-directed design,
      > are collections of responsibilities, needs, interests, and expectations of
      > the actor within the role within an activity. A role focuses on the
      > relationship between an actor in role and a designed artifact of interest.
      > In other words, a user role is centered on the important stuff with the
      > greatest impact on good interaction design and user experience in
      > interaction with the designed artifact. It does not waste time on all that
      > "other stuff" that makes personas fun and interesting but offers little
      > leverage for the agile designer.
      >

      > For agile projects: model-driven inquiry with user roles instead of
      > ethnographic/contextual inquiry and personas.
      >

      > Prof. Larry Constantine, IDSA, ACM Fellow
      >
      > Universidade da Madeira | Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute
      >
      > Gabinete 2.56 | int'l m: +44 792.447.5358

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic