7609Re: [agile-usability] Origins of user stories

  • Gerard Meszaros
    Mar 26, 2013
      I was a member of the Hillside Group along with Kent Beck and Ward Cunningham in
      1995/1996 and was present at the first 4 PLOP conferences. The following is my
      understanding of the origins of XP and User Stories based on my direct contacts
      with them in that time frame.

      CRC cards (co-invented by Ward and were used in domain modeling and represent a
      single domain object class and its responsibilities and collaborators. (See
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-responsibility-collaboration_card) The user
      story card represents something the Customer wanted the Dev Team to build for
      them. Other than both being written on cards, there is really no similarity. So
      the 1989 OOPSLA paper is a red herring.

      You might take a look at the PLOP 1995 paper called Episodes which is the first
      writing I'm aware of that describes the process that came to be called eXtreme
      Programming. (see http://c2.com/ppr/episodes.html) It doesn't mention User
      Stories by name but refer to "Implied Requirement" and "Work Split" for the
      seeds of the user story concept.

      Best wishes,

      Gerard

      On 3/26/2013 8:09 PM, spbroi@... wrote:
      > Just a bit more. In 1989 Ward Cunningham and Kent Beck (then at Apple) gave a
      > paper at OOPSLA89which included the concept of the CRC card. I suspect that the
      > CRC card evolved into the user story at CCC as a way to make it more
      > 'user-friendly'. The concepts are similar.
      > =steve

      Gerard Meszaros
      Lean/Agile Coach/Mentor/Trainer
      http://www.gerardmeszaros.com
      1-403-827-2967

      Author of the Jolt Productivity Award winning book "xUnit Test Patterns -
      Refactoring Test Code" and winner of the "Programming with the Stars"
      competition at Agile 2009. Learn more at http://xunitpatterns.com/index.html
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic