7602RE: [agile-usability] Re: Origins of user stories

  • William Hudson
    Mar 26 5:09 AM
      Adrian -

      I only just found your reply to my note to CHI-WEB (my email filter stuck it
      somewhere I wasn't expecting). So sorry for ignoring you earlier<g>.

      I don't mind that different people do different things and still call them
      user stories. The basic idea is that you put a story of use on a small card.
      I'm thinking now that it might have come from Scrum (see my reply to Larry
      Constantine - you also hinted at this in your earlier note). Their
      development into the current 'As a <role>...' format is interesting and of
      course, part of the picture.

      Just to fill people in on the motive - if you are going to write on a topic,
      you start with what we already know and the background leading up to it.
      When I did this for the card sorting article I wrote for the Interaction
      Design Encyclopedia
      (http://www.interaction-design.org/encyclopedia/card_sorting.html), I found
      references to card sorting (in psychology) as far back as 1886. The term
      'user story' is not that uncommon, but coupled with writing them on small
      cards in a software development process it becomes more specific.

      So I may have it back to Jeff Sutherland in 1993 now. Interestingly, in the
      ACM Digital Library there is almost no mention prior to 1999.

      Regards,