7548Re: First post

  • strugglingdesmond
    Oct 3 5:05 PM
      Thanks much for the encouraging words!

      The big thing that it's clear I bring is the ability to talk with customers who might otherwise be intimidated by very technical discussions. And the biggest value I bring is the usability testing. I wish I could do more of it that we've done. So far we've had usability tests about every 6-8 weeks. It's tough because our customers cannot accept gifts or compensation.

      The agile dev process with this team is simply hard to interrupt with any process or artifacts that don't have immediate relevancy to getting the code done or testing it. I keep trying to tell myself there is a usability maturity curve at work here, and I need to push only what the team is ready to handle with respect to usability.

      Another complicating factor is the team is used to getting design work from a very talented designer who delivers nice-looking wireframes or coded prototypes. That's fine and has its place certainly. But I think the team would be better served by faster, looser mockups or even paper prototyping.

      The feedback I'm getting is that things are going well. I will try to get even more user feedback. But, IMO, I also need another project to keep me motivated.

      -- SD

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "davidkallen" <davidkallen@...> wrote:
      > It is a rare joy to have a dedicated usability expert on a project. They are lucky. Do they know why you are there? Do they understand the value you bring and respect your profession and expertise? Have you spoken openly with them about your perceptions and worked to find ways to work together more smoothly?
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic