7497Re: [agile-usability] Re: Agile User Research

  • Jon Innes
    Mar 6, 2012

      I second Dan's recommendation of that book.

      You are correct to avoid lengthy reports. A much better practice for agile projects is to leverage the defect tracking system, especially if it supports screen shot uploads, which most do now. Even if it doesn't just create a link in the defect to a wiki or file server where you can annotate any screenshots that illustrate issues.

      Some other tips:
      • Make sure the team can participate in studies as observers. This is easy to do with remote usability testing and helps them understand any issues you find.
      • Have any observers take notes and send them to you as an email so they feel involved, but make sure any issues become part of the backlog.
      • Hold a debrief meeting after you have observed enough users to see trends to summarize the findings.
      • If you capture metrics, note them near the team's backlog or scrum board in a summary format. Even if its just # of users tested & # any issue.
      • Even when capturing recommendations on a server or wiki, it's often best to work with the PO or SM to post 1 page paper summaries of these in the team space.
      If you are successful and start facing issues scaling this, I gave some pointers on this in a post:

      Credit to Josh Seiden for term "test driven design" is due. While I've seen it used for QA before, it's a great way to describe best practices for Lean UX.

      Good luck,

      Jon

      On Mar 6, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Dan Fitek wrote:

      There are some good resources on the Measuring the User Experience book website http://measuringux.com/

      Check out Usability Test Data Logger  and Usability Test Observation Coding Form

      -Dan

      On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM, brett.christenson <bchristenson@...> wrote:

      So I am moving forward with User research and with everyone's advice I plan to do interactive test of users. However in an effort to structure this process I was wondering if anyone has a research template they use to preform tests and capture results? This will be very helpful when presenting findings to teams. Having a template for UX team members helps standardize this process and ensure the correct information is gathered and documented.
      I can also see where this would be very beneficial is when testing with same user from one sprint to another as improvements are made to the UI.

      Along the agile principal guidelines I do not want to have a 300 page document created after test just something to assist team. Google search for User Research template has not produced many results that I find very helpful.

      Thanks again to everyone

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > On 15 Feb 2012, at 17:38, gregc wrote:
      > [snip]
      > > Just to reiterate, I'm not knocking quantifiable research. I'm a big advocate of it. And you will want to use it. But I don't think it's effective to apply for every change in every sprint and in the usage scenarios you mentioned, I just want to make sure you're not overlooking the good old fashioned qualitative methods of going deep with a smaller sample of customers.
      > [snip]
      >
      > A general +1 to that. On reading Brett's description the first thing that seemed an obvious lack was going out and talking and doing interactive tests real users.
      >
      > Doing that frequently gives me much more bang for my buck than surveys and questionnaires. Not that they don't have value too - but setting things up to get lots regular direct user interaction is what I'd do first.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Adrian
      > --
      > http://quietstars.com adrianh@... twitter.com/adrianh
      > t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward del.icio.us/adrianh

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic