7485Re: Agile User Research

  • brett.christenson
    Feb 16, 2012
      Greg - thanks for the feedback. I was getting wrapped up in the quantifiable aspect of a testing approach. Seeing some of the tools out there with test reports made me think this was a great approach. I will look into your suggestions and see how we can incorporate them.

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "gregc" <greg@...> wrote:

      > Brett,
      >
      > I love analytics and totally admire your desire to to create repeatable and quantifiable tests. But as I read this I think the type of testing you are looking to do may be enriched and more supportable with a qualitative approach that emphasizes high touch. For example, when I test early sketches, I'm looking to identify big gaps in the UI or functionality. I'll pick a small set of representative customers, I customer I know who would use this functionality, and see if they can achieve their task. I've also done these via webex and gotomeeting for distance clients. During this, I'm asking them to think outloud and we're having a conversation. When I have a polished UI mock-up, I might use a remote usability testing tool. But not at rough mocks. And I would do this work as look ahead planning to groom a story to be accepted into the sprint.
      >
      > Post Sprint - depending what you want to learn might I might do an remote usability test but also may go back to the mock-up group to see if the implementation works for them. If I want to test pure learn-ability, then the prior group is tainted. So i would find some new research subjects. And asynchronous remote usability testing works well if you're not needing to manage the relationship with client.
      >
      > For identifying current user needs, beyond what's going through support, I'd get out of the office and spend time watching users use your product, what is the trigger for using your product, what are they trying to accomplish in your product, and what is the output they create with your product, who consumes that output, and what action do they take with that output.
      >
      > Just to reiterate, I'm not knocking quantifiable research. I'm a big advocate of it. And you will want to use it. But I don't think it's effective to apply for every change in every sprint and in the usage scenarios you mentioned, I just want to make sure you're not overlooking the good old fashioned qualitative methods of going deep with a smaller sample of customers.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Greg Cohen
      > Author: Agile Excellence for Product Managers | 42 Rules of Product Management | Lean Product Management
      >

      > --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "brett.christenson" <bchristenson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have been working in agile development environment for some years now and just moving to working with engineers has proven to be beneficial. Now I want to gather feedback beyond inside our company and before product is officially released. I have never done in depth user testing but I am looking to gather user feedback in a couple areas:
> [...]
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic