7481Re: Agile User Research

  • brett.christenson
    Feb 14, 2012
      I have been working in agile development environment for some years now and just moving to working with engineers has proven to be beneficial. Now I want to gather feedback beyond inside our company and before product is officially released. I have never done in depth user testing but I am looking to gather user feedback in a couple areas:
      1. Early sketch mock ups and storyboards. I think that it is important that we get user input to make sure we are starting in the right direction. My thought is that this feedback should be able to be gathered at any point in a sprint or even as way to create stories. Great use case for this would be new product or major functionality development with select beta partners or focus group.
      2. Post sprint user testing - Can users accomplish task? My concern is how to get this feedback in a timely manor to incorporate that feedback in a product release time.
      3. Identify current user needs - Where do we need to focus on the user experience? I see this more outside active sprints as a way to help generate user stories.

      I have been looking into tools like http://www.usabilla.com/ so that I can perform more structured testing on focused areas. I am also looking into using surveys to help further support ideas/concepts and direction without to much design overhead.

      Any process or methods we use need to be repeatable (can we always generate survey or user test after each sprint?)and allow designers to gather maybe some metrics that can be used to show the effect of changes on the user experience. Simple example - UI test 1 users could not complete task x. Test 2 40% users completed task x. Test 3 80% users completed task x.

      Again I know that these things are all possible but I wonder if there are any tools or techniques that other designers have used during agile development with high level of success.

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:

      > Hi Brett,
      >
      > On 9 Feb 2012, at 14:15, brett.christenson wrote:
      >
      > > I am looking for repeatable and measurable user research methods/tools that I can incorporate into agile development. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      >

      > That's a pretty broad question :-)
      >
      > Can you talk a little bit more about your context and the kind of problems that you're looking to solve?
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Adrian
      > --
      > http://quietstars.com adrianh@... twitter.com/adrianh
      > t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward del.icio.us/adrianh

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic