7480Re: [agile-usability] Re: UXI Matrix

  • Peter Gfader
    Feb 13, 2012
      Hi Jon

      Thanks for clarification

      Good point regarding: "Corporate users don't get to choose the software"
      Someone else chooses and drives the software, but doesnt need to use it in the end...
      A good way to overcome this,  might be Adam's suggestion with dogfooding: "internal customer for IT projects"

      Good work!

        .peter.gfader. (current mood = happy!)

      On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Tom Hume <Tom.Hume@...> wrote:

      Jon

      I agree that looking at how relevant work is to personas you're targeting is useful. I think there's lots of useful stuff to track in a project which I wouldn't naturally put onto a product backlog: acceptance tests, development tasks, design tasks, etc. Not having it on the backlog doesn't mean it isn't valuable. I've never found it necessary to track individual dev tasks on a product backlog, for instance. I like having a backlog that's simple and meaningful to everyone on the team, and unless the team were asking for it I wouldn't float details "to the top" like this. If I wanted UX metrics, I'd probably track them elsewhere (or ask the designer(s) to do that - it's probably a tool they could benefit from) to keep the main backlog clean.

      If stories need to get some work done before they're ready, I /would/ track that, and would mark the state ("ready for development", say) in the backlog. I like using colours for this because it lets you see a historical record of state transitions, and easily spot patterns.

      This is not the same as suggesting that disciplines be silo'd or not collaborate - I've just tended to encourage that collaboration in other places.

      Yes, I'll fess up - I use spreadsheets for this kind of thing :) Google Docs though (no worries about who has the latest version, visible in and our of the office, and hang around in one place forever). I've not found a tool that works better for me than them, but then I've not done an exhaustive search either (never felt the need).

      YMMV of course (and it sounds like it does)

      Tom

      On 8 February 2012 22:47, Jon Innes <jinnes@...> wrote:
      I'm trying to do two things. Track the state of individual items (stories on the rows) and track the big picture (see summary rows at the bottom). Tracking stuff by persona vs. story shows some interesting stuff.

      I was working on a big project as a consultant 2 years ago and we did this analysis and we identified a target persona, but in fact most of the stories were targeted at "other users."  Now that might be OK for a given sprint for some reason, but you can't keep focusing on users who aren't in your target persona over time. Something is wrong there. Same is true if you claim to be improving the UX and the UXI Matrix summary scores aren't moving in the right direction.

      Your summary of what I'm tracking per story is accurate. Instead of tracking big waterfall delivery style, I'm tracking small UX tasks by story, just like agile proposes you do for dev & QA. I'm just mapping the UX work to the same stories the development team is using. I'd use the same tool as development if I could. I've used stickies on a wall (pure Scrum/Kanban style) and Excel, and even tried to do it in agile specific tools. The downside of things other than Excel have always been creating overall metrics easily. Just as many Scrum masters gravitate to Excel to track burn down if they use Scrum boards.

      Sounds like you are admitting to using Excel, just like Austin & I have :)

      In terms of big picture, I've developed some dashboards that include UX metrics (% stories UX staff has designed, amount of user involvement, overall task completion rates, sat scores, etc.). This becomes easier if you have what's in the UXI Matrix example shown in the article. It's really hard if you don't have it.

      On Feb 7, 2012, at 9:17 AM, Tom Hume wrote:

      It strikes me that what you're tracking here is the state of individual backlog items. In your case, it's whether they're ready to move to development by virtue of the design work being completed. Further down the line, you might want to track whether a given backlog item is through development and ready for testing; prior to design you might want to track whether a given backlog item has been approved for design work to start.

      I've used colour-coding of cells in a backlog for this sort of thing; in a product backlog we would apply to the cell whose row indicates the backlog item and column indicates the sprint number. For a sprint backlog, replace the latter by the column indicating the day in the sprint.

      This makes it very clear what the state and/or readiness of current items is, maps neatly onto columns on a physical board, and lets you see patterns (either in-sprint or across them) of movement of backlog items between various states.

      Tracking every aspect of what makes a given backlog item ready to proceed into development might be appropriate, or might not - YMMV. One thing I like about backlogs is that they give us a useful summary of a project, as the expense of including every detail.

      On 7 February 2012 16:38, Austin Govella <austin.govella@...> wrote:

      So, here's the constructive part: what information would your perfect
      product backlog track?

      --
      Future Platforms: hungry and foolish since 2000
      work: Tom.Hume@... play: tomhume.org both: +447971781422