7469Re: [agile-usability] Re: UXI Matrix

  • Jon Innes
    Feb 8, 2012
      Peter,

      We agree, mostly.

      I believe UX is becoming more important than ever, and awareness is only increasing. I was just pointing out that in 10 years of studying agile and talking to the early proponents of it, I realized the reason agile pioneers didn't highlight UX is that they were working in a context where there was no real concept of UX. Just read their accounts or talk to them like I did. Mike Cohn and Eric Ries are good example of agile proponents that do get UX.

      UX methods have largely been invented at product companies. Intuit, Apple, Xerox, IBM, DEC, and others did usability testing and hired UI designers in the 80's attempting to create products for mass consumer adoption. Now most enterprise software companies are attempting to do UX at the same level as consumer companies. I'm familiar with this, having been an early UX team member and UX manager/director at several of the most successful enterprise software companies.

      My comment was that UX matters more for consumer products, not that UX doesn't matter at all for enterprise products. Enterprise software is often 10x less usable than eCommerce sites. This is because of the feedback mechanisms inherent in enterprise software sales. Corporate users don't get to choose the software, and the cost of switching is bigger than clicking to another site. I've published articles and given talks on this. Your selling points listed below are correct, but the fact remains that UX has more influence on the success of consumer products and websites than it does on enterprise software or IT departmental budgets. Even Steve Jobs noted this once in an interview.

      I'm just trying to share my experience of being the UX guy on the scrum team, or cleaning up the mess that happens when the team lacks any UX skills. It's not enough to be there, you have to help the team understand that releasing software is just a step to meeting customer needs, but just releasing software that nobody wants or that is unusable isn't the fastest way to learn how to build great products.

      Jon

      On Feb 7, 2012, at 1:27 AM, Peter Gfader wrote:

      Hi Jon

      Interesting idea.

      My 2 cents...

      >>agile and UX methods evolved for different purposes, supporting different values. Agile methods were developed without consideration for UX best practices. Early agile pioneers were working on in-house IT projects (custom software) or enterprise software
      I think the close past and present shows us a different picture. A lot of software development companies embrace good UX from the beginning. And only those that do, are successful in the long run.

      >>UX matters more for consumer products
      I dont agree. UX matters for everone and everything. It is just harder to sell in software enterprises.
      2 selling points might be:
      #1 Money savings in customer support (Less phone calls, less support staff).
      #2 Customer satisfaction (harder to measure and sell... I agree)

      In my experience, it is very valuable to have a UX guy on the Scrum Team form the beginning. This way he ensures great UX (maybe by using the UXI Matrix).

        .peter.gfader. (current mood = happy!)

      On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:10 PM, kerrykimbrough <kerry@...> wrote:

      Jon, my 1st reaction to your UXI matrix concept is that no Scrum team I've ever seen would use it. No one wants to fuss with this much analysis and data entry. And, if the team is using Rally or similar tracking tools, there is zero interest in data that's not in the tool.

      My 2nd reaction is that this matrix misses the point. What we need is good flow. We need work to arrive at each point in the flow completely ready for the next step. Devs don't want to fuss with your measures of UI design readiness. They want it to be ready.

      We already know the waterfall flow, with its big hopeless handoffs, doesn't work. Instead, we seek a more continous and incremental flow. But I don't see how the UXI matrix contributes.